2002 A6 2.5TDI CVT (Multitronic) Help needed

69COU

Reaction score
Originally posted on the Diesel link but thought would also post here.

Can any owners of Multitronic version do a quick test for me and let me know by next Friday when I send into main dealer.

Need someone to do an acceleration test. ( Car in D (Drive))

If you put your foot to floor say at 40mph fully pressing kickdown switch and keep planted does your car just accelerate until it hits 4000RPM and then stay there or does it change up gear.

Remember foot planted completely to the floor.

Mine seems to be forgetting to change up a gear unless I slightly lift accelerator from fully pressed.(Off the kickdown switch)

I suspect something is not quite right on mine as appears quite sluggish at low speed acceleration.

Seem that if in D position it appears like it starts in 3rd gear so very slow to get going.

Normal power and acceleration if put into the 1-6 range.

Things i am going to get the Audi dealers to do are as follows:

Change transmittion fluid as not sure this has been done at 80K service
Check MAF
Wheel Torque sensors.

Anything else i should get them to look at. Car currently has 97K miles.
:blackrs4:

Only serviced

Hello

Welcome to my world.

My Allroad has the same low speed /rev problem too. I have been posting here for weeks now, and have tried all the previously suggested fixes.

Mine is a manual so can't help with the acceleration test.

It seems to be a re-occuring theme this low speed / rev thing on this power unit.

As it is so seemingly common I am supprised no one really knows what it is. Mine has done 105k, perhaps it is a relativly new thing with cars at the 100k mark.

Mine definitally seem to me to be fuel delivery. When it is cold in the morninig I can floor the accelerator and it will take 3-5 seconds to start to pick up any revs at all. It is better when it is warm, but not a lot.

I have some work done on mine which made it slightly better. Something to do with cam timing, but on a test drive they had over ****** it putting the car into "get you home" mode. When it was in this mode it was just like my car is at low rpm.

I would dealy love to drive another one locally. Anyone in NE Essex with one?

Biggles

I suspect mine is gearbox lead rather than engine as Multitronic has two options.

Automatic ( P R N D)

Like a semi manual ( 1-6)

Sluggish behavior only seems to be in the full Auto Mode.
Normal power and acceleration that I would expect if put into the 1-6 range.

Cheers
:blackrs4: :blackrs4:

Don't worry, the revs should stay at 4000 as this is the revs maximum power developed by the engine. If you have an accelaration problem then it will be something else like the air mass meter, MAF.

shabazmo said:
Don't worry, the revs should stay at 4000 as this is the revs maximum power developed by the engine. If you have an accelaration problem then it will be something else like the air mass meter, MAF.

I know it hits the REV limiter but would expect it to then change up a gear. It seems to stay at same speed on the 4000 revs. This is on a flat road that it has done it at both 60MPH + 80MPH

Does not give you confidence for quick overtaking.

You miss the point. Max power is obtained at 4000rpm. Your CVT gearbox does not have any gears. It uses 2 cones and a steel belt which means that the gearing in continuously variable. The electronics fools you in thinking that gears are being changed but this is not the case. So when maximum power is required on full accelaration then the car will stay at max power i.e. 4100rpm and the speed will increase at the same reves until you ease off. Trust me!

You miss the point. Max power is obtained at 4000rpm. Your CVT gearbox does not have any gears. It uses 2 cones and a steel belt which means that the gearing in continuously variable. The electronics fools you in thinking that gears are being changed but this is not the case. So when maximum power is required on full accelaration then the car will stay at max power i.e. 4100rpm and the speed will increase at the same reves until you ease off. Trust me!

I can understand that bit about CVT and beeing at max revs for power but surely the car should not stay at a constant speed I am talking 30 seconds plus with my foot planted to the floor where speed would not go over 60MPH on a flat road. It only appeared to be able to accelerate further by me slightly lifting off accelerator and Revs appearing to drop. Then does same to 80MPH and same problem. Foot lifted from floor slightly and again appears to change gear ( revs drop) and starts accelarating again.

Feels like a manual car redlined against the REV limiter.

Could it be an electronics problem, linked to kickdown switch or similer.

Cheers

I thought I was the only one!

I have a tiptronic auto box and mine does exactly as you described and gets stuck, intermittently ( - dont you just hate that word! ) in third and does not change into 4th.

I have had mine on my friends VAG-com and it only found one intermittent fault but as yet no -one knows what the fault code is?

Ok, I acknowledge your problem, but don't have an answer. I know that the Air mass meter can be faulty but thats about it. When you find out your fault then please post it as I am likely to have the same problem in time. another way of analysing the problem is to use vagcom to take readings from the measuring blocks and compare it with a good audi. where the discrepency exists then it will help locate the fault. E.G the current reading on the air mass meater may be lower on your can than a good car. hence problem with the air mass meter. Incidently, Meatychi above has an entirely different gearbox to yours, so its unlikely to be the gearbox. If I were to floor te throttle it will stay at 4000rpm all the way to 100+mph.
Keep in touch.

Well went back to Main dealers today who think they have identified problem.
Apparantly a small vacume hose T piece that leads to the Turbo is cracked.
Part about £1.50. Unfortunatly took them a while to find problem but could not get the part today. Put car back together apparantly about and hour work to strip to this bit and the same to put it back together.

Car is going back to them next Thursday to replace part. At the same time i have asked that they do the transmission fluid change.

Total cost :puke2: £460 including VAT.:keule:
Wont be paying if it does not cure the problem.

I reckon £260 for the gear OIL CHANGE AND £200 for the Vacuum hose. I have heard of this problem before. Sorry my brain was't fast enough to help you out. I'll try better next time.

No probs, thanks for the interest, I will feedback next week if the problem is cured or not.
:blackrs4: :blackrs4: