1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001, S3, 124kms - warm starts fine, but struggles cold starting ...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by NZChoppa, Oct 20, 2013.

1. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

[Oct 20, 2013]
    Hi all, name is Dan, and live in Perth, Australia. I am very keen to gather some ideas/suggestions from you guys on this issue ...

I am completely baffled by this problem - has had big service with most of ignition system replaced (not the starter motor), and still, it starts on the 2-3rd attempt;

just put in a much gruntier battery, but problem still persists;

i do know that the fuel sender is knackered - it reads fine until just under 1/2 tank - then it does weird stuff, under reads etc (i've just learned to put up with it) -

BUT, she warm starts with no problems at all!!!

what are the main differences between cold and warms starts? - what data does the ECU rely on during a cold start, vs a warm start??

this isn't inhibiting my enjoyment of the car (I absolutely love the car), but it would be nice to have this issue sorted

i would be very appreciative of any ideas/suggestions ... before i take her to the local audi dealer

thanks heaps
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 20, 2013]
    Hi Dan, greetings from Scotland and welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of your car? The boys will be along shortly to help and advise you. Enjoy the forum. :) X
  4. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

[Oct 20, 2013]
    Thanks Sandra - photo attached for viewing pleasure - cheers, Dan

QuattroS32001.jpg
    Sandra likes this.
  5. jezzy

jezzy Member

[Oct 20, 2013]
    Fuel pump on the way out?
  6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 20, 2013]
    You need to get your car scanned for fault codes. Cold starts problems are usually temperature sensor, possible crank/timing sensor, or even MAF sensor from my experience.
  7. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

[Oct 21, 2013]
    Cheers, i asked them to check the MAF and they said it was fine, i replaced the coolant temp sensor prior to the service, but the crank/timing sensor is something i'll more into

where is the best place to grab parts from in EU? and where is the best place to buy a scanning unit?

Thanks

D
  8. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

[Oct 23, 2013]
    Can anyone suggest a place to buy a suitable fuel sender unit online? I've been quoted A$500 from a local garage ...

Thanks in advance,

D