1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001, S3, 124kms - warm starts fine, but struggles cold starting ...

NZChoppa Oct 20, 2013

1. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

Hi all, name is Dan, and live in Perth, Australia. I am very keen to gather some ideas/suggestions from you guys on this issue ...

I am completely baffled by this problem - has had big service with most of ignition system replaced (not the starter motor), and still, it starts on the 2-3rd attempt;

just put in a much gruntier battery, but problem still persists;

i do know that the fuel sender is knackered - it reads fine until just under 1/2 tank - then it does weird stuff, under reads etc (i've just learned to put up with it) -

BUT, she warm starts with no problems at all!!!

what are the main differences between cold and warms starts? - what data does the ECU rely on during a cold start, vs a warm start??

this isn't inhibiting my enjoyment of the car (I absolutely love the car), but it would be nice to have this issue sorted

i would be very appreciative of any ideas/suggestions ... before i take her to the local audi dealer

thanks heaps

2. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro s tronic Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

Hi Dan, greetings from Scotland and welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of your car? The boys will be along shortly to help and advise you. Enjoy the forum. :) X

3. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

Thanks Sandra - photo attached for viewing pleasure - cheers, Dan

QuattroS32001.jpg

Sandra likes this.
  4. jezzy

jezzy Member

Fuel pump on the way out?

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

You need to get your car scanned for fault codes. Cold starts problems are usually temperature sensor, possible crank/timing sensor, or even MAF sensor from my experience.

6. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

Cheers, i asked them to check the MAF and they said it was fine, i replaced the coolant temp sensor prior to the service, but the crank/timing sensor is something i'll more into

where is the best place to grab parts from in EU? and where is the best place to buy a scanning unit?

Thanks

D

7. NZChoppa

NZChoppa New Member

Can anyone suggest a place to buy a suitable fuel sender unit online? I've been quoted A$500 from a local garage ...

Thanks in advance,

D