1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 AKE Tiptronic A6 2.5 V6 TDi cambelt/waterpump etc

Discussion in 'Parts Requests' started by owdgit, Aug 28, 2009.

1. owdgit

owdgit Member

[Aug 28, 2009]
    Hi, my local independant has quoted me as below: -
    Thank you for your enquiry regarding a cambelt replacement for your A6 2.5 tdi, the total cost of labour is £225.00 and parts including water pump and fan belts £147.00 these parts are genuine. All costs are plus vat and the work would be carried out in the one day.

My question is, how much would you want for the same job? Cambelt, rollers, belts, waterpump, fan belts etc.
    Car has just done 160k, this will be the second cambelt.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 24, 2014]

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Aug 28, 2009]
    Ask your guy where is he buying parts from ? A full cambelt kit is way more than 150 quid + there is the hydraulic damper wich needs replacing...thats 50 quid extra. The water pump is another £30+. I would also replace the thermostat while at it as i had 2 cars i did not replaced it and it gone after a few months. I 'll be surprised if you get any change out of 500 notes but you will get the important stamp in the service book. Check for play in bearings on the aux. belt tensioners/rollers and replace if necessary. Another thing to inspect is the bushes/washers on the aux. belt tensioners as they wear out and will throw the belt out wich gets tangled round the crankshaft pulley and the timing belts strips the teeths bending the valves in the process. I bought 2 cars with that dammage !
  4. owdgit

owdgit Member

[Aug 29, 2009]
    Im certain I asked for the tensioners to be changed, good call about the thermostat, I have e-mailed them to get an update with the questions you have posed. Dont know where he will be getting the parts but he assured me they are o/e.
  5. adamss24

[Aug 29, 2009]
    In the full cambelt kit there is a : cambelt tensioner, relay roller, cambelt, pump belt tensioner, pump belt and new bolts + a plastic cap(for the LHS cylinder bank). The hydraulic tensioner is separate from the kit also the water pump, thermostat and the aux. belts are separate. Also the injector pump needs to be dinamically adjusted with latest VCDS(aka. vag-com). Make shure he is using locking tools and that he knows what is doing as its easy to mess thgings up ! The reason i ask where is he getting the parts from is the dealer charges about 300 quid for the full kit(excluding the hydraulic damper) and ECP wants about the same for the full Contitech kit wich includes the damper(£311 inclusive of VAT)+ 5L of antifreeze. Every other roller is extra...I used to do these cambelts on vw audi forum for 400 quid supply and fit wich included all the necessary parts + timing setting and diagnostic to make shure everything is ok !
  6. owdgit

owdgit Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
    StokeAudi
    Do you have the price yet?
  7. stoke_audi

stoke_audi Active Member

[Sep 4, 2009]
    sorry

do this tomorrow am
    (from home)

Dave
  8. stoke_audi

stoke_audi Active Member

[Sep 5, 2009]
    can you give Chris or Nathan a ring in our sevice dept,
    they will ba able to give you a more accurate quote

01782 590400
    Dave
  9. owdgit

owdgit Member

[Sep 8, 2009]
    Thanks, spoke to Nathan, very close to my local dealer price wise, just a little more. Will think about it.
  10. owdgit

owdgit Member

[Oct 13, 2009]
    Many thanks to Nathan, and the service team, for fitting my timing belt, water pump. rollers, anciliary belts etc. It cost more than initially anticipated but as my car is getting on a bit I dont think the extra parts needed were unreasonable and no extra labour was charged.
    I was also given the loan of a very nice A4 Avant, it felt bigger than my A6!
    Heres to the next 80,000 miles.
    Much appreciated, I couldnt believe how clean the workshop is. Very proffessional service, I would reccomend and use again.
  11. adamss24

[Oct 13, 2009]
    How much it was everything in the end and what have been replaced ? Thanks...