2001 a3 k03 or k03s

*ian*86

Reaction score
i have been doing a bit of research into which turbo I should have on my car and i am a little confused with the whole thing

as i stated in the title i have a 2001 a3 which has an AUM but please bare in mind it is a Y reg 2001.

everything i have seen and found out is that an AUM should have a k03s, and that anything 2000 and earlier i.e AGU should have a k03 also that a k03 has 12 fins on the compressor side and ko3s has 8 fins compressor side plus there is also a size difference in the compressor wheel. is this information correct?

also when i bought my car i knew i need to replace the turbo which i have done with a matching numbers turbo but upon doing this bit is research i have realised that the turbo i took off had 12 fins which i checked as i still have the turbo and i believe this to be a k03.

my question is do i have the right turbo on my car?

the reason i did this little research is due to recently fitting a boost gauge and i noticed that in 3rd gear from 2000 rpm i am only hitting 0.4 bar of boost which starts to drop off down to about 0.25 bar.

now i know a may have a boost issue there due to the drop but i have checked and replaced all the broken pipes and plan on buying a new oem DV on Thursday as i do believe this is faulty due to taking it off and checking it by pushing the piston up and hold my thumb over the top nipple and the piston drops about half way and does not stay fully open.

please any information would be really helpful as if i do have the wrong turbo on i will have to start looking for the right one so i can get it changed straight away.

thanks in adavnce