2001 1.9pd 130 Performance Problems

audiv6

Reaction score
Feels like a 100bhp lol, It isn't going into limp mode as its revving through all the rpms,

We think its a fuelling problem but at a loss to what it could be tbh. If I unplug the maf etc its worse.

No real smoke when I stick the foot down but there is when its cold started.

It's lived in a city for years before I bought it.

Timing is at 62.5deg

Changed:
Tandem Pump
Lift Pump
Injector Seals
Temp Sensor
Thermostat
Changed Vac Hoses
Egr Blanked & Mapped Out

Has anyone got any ideas at all?

Could be many things, Exhaust back pressure from a partly blocked cat. You could try undoing the downpipe nuts a bit and take it for a spin to see how it is. How have you checked the cam timing, the torsion value on VCDS gives you a good idea where it is.
What is the injector balance like ? Have you checked the cam is good whilst you were changing seals on the injectors. Not sure why you did that really TBH.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Need to check the Cat that was on the list. Will do that and check the cams tomorrow night.

Don't have vagcom unfortunately but it was logged etc before and the injectors came up ok according to the fella I took it too. Not sure about the timing tbh I'd say he would have picked that up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could be many things, Exhaust back pressure from a partly blocked cat. You could try undoing the downpipe nuts a bit and take it for a spin to see how it is. How have you checked the cam timing, the torsion value on VCDS gives you a good idea where it is.
What is the injector balance like ? Have you checked the cam is good whilst you were changing seals on the injectors. Not sure why you did that really TBH.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Isn't the cat unfortunately lol tried that tonight there.

Need to get injectors checked.

I changed the seals etc as I was told they could be leaking.

Will check camshaft this week.

Any other possible solutions while I'm at it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Turbo could be carboned up and the vanes are not moving inside due to living in the city and not getting much full throtle.

Injector Values today;
10:54:40
-0.68 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.59 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.47 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.52 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H

These ok?

This is latest when car is at running temp 90deg

Address 01: Engine (038 906 019 LJ)

16:52:34 Group 013: Idle Speed Smooth Running Control
-0.07 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
1.27 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.71 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.49 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H

Get some comma diesel magic in half a tank....it works wonders and use it myself once a year.

Turbo will also most prob be carboned up as mentioned. See if you can move the actuator through its full motion easily.

Get some comma diesel magic in half a tank....it works wonders and use it myself once a year.

Turbo will also most prob be carboned up as mentioned. See if you can move the actuator through its full motion easily.

Turbo fine it and intake cleaned. I've put a couple of cleaners through it but it hasn't made much difference

Have someone rev the engine hard and pay attention to the actuator arm moves smoothly from min to max...as above it's most likely stuck fully open and the the actuator does not move. Had a Vauxhall vivaro in the other day and the turbo was stuck yet the car would not smoke and was pulling to 80 Mph just was lacking power ! Also make sure the impellers spin-look with a mirror in the intake !

Actuator arm fine, nice free movement throughout the range.

What way do i check the timing in VCDS and what should the values be?

If you have changed the injector seals did you check the cam whilst you were in there.

I didnt personally do it myself a mechanic did, but ill take the cover off this week and have a look.

The figures above are wrong, this below is today after a drive,

19:28:58 Group 004: Unit Injectors valves command
966 /min Engine speed 790-870
-0.0 °ATDC Spec start of inj. 4BTDC-2ATDC
4.6°KW Spec inj. duration 3-8 °Ck.
1.1°KW Synchro. angle -3..+3°Ck.

19:28:58 Group 013: Idle Speed Smooth Running Control
-2.75 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
2.99 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-2.28 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
2.00 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H

19:28:58 Group 015: Fuel Consumption
945 /min Engine speed rpm
1.6 mg/str Inj Qty (actual)
0.20 l/h Fuel Consumption
0.0 mg/str Inj Qty requested (accelerator)

Anyone see anything wrong?? the injector values look well out but would that be the cam doing that?

The injector values are all over the place as you say but previous readings they look a lot better. Normally they aren't much more than 1.00 mg/str +ve or -ve . If the car has been for a run why is the idle speed so high ? It's showing 950 RPM ish. Was the engine upto temperature ?.

Reactions: audiv6
The injector values are all over the place as you say but previous readings they look a lot better. Normally they aren't much more than 1.00 mg/str +ve or -ve . If the car has been for a run why is the idle speed so high ? It's showing 950 RPM ish. Was the engine upto temperature ?.

The engine was up to full temp yea.
Can the idle speed be pulled down a little? I take it that's maybe why injector reading all over the show. Does the timing look correct?

Is it a quattro? The idle speed on those is higher I think. Is the alternator clutch pulley OK. When these seize up it can cause the engine to run quite rough and uneven. You can usually see the serpentine belt tensioner bouncing a lot.

Is it a quattro? The idle speed on those is higher I think. Is the alternator clutch pulley OK. When these seize up it can cause the engine to run quite rough and uneven. You can usually see the serpentine belt tensioner bouncing a lot.

It's not a Quattro unfortunately :(

Not sure on the pulley something I'll check. Can the idle speed be reduced in Vagcom?

Yes you can reduce the idle speed in VAG-COM. How long have you had it ? has it been like this since you bought it ?

Yes you can reduce the idle speed in VAG-COM. How long have you had it ? has it been like this since you bought it ?

Any idea what the standard value should be??

I bought the car like this but it has got better since I bought it and smoother power etc, it used to have a misfire. The power is ok from 1k - 3k but when it should be looking for more it isn't getting it after 3k

Just looking through the list of stuff you have changed and I can't see a fuel filter. has this been changed? .

I would adjust the synchro angle to 0.5 or 0 or -0.5.

I last set mine to -0.5 if I recall after the last cambelt change......need to check it again actually.

Just looking through the list of stuff you have changed and I can't see a fuel filter. has this been changed? .

Yea sorry it has and the small valve on top of it just incase lol

I would adjust the synchro angle to 0.5 or 0 or -0.5.

I last set mine to -0.5 if I recall after the last cambelt change......need to check it again actually.

Ok cool ill give that a try and see man, cheers

20:41:29 Group 004: Unit Injectors valves command
861 /min Engine speed 790-870
-0.0 °ATDC Spec start of inj. 4BTDC-2ATDC
6.1°KW Spec inj. duration 3-8 °Ck.
0.0°KW Synchro. angle -3..+3°Ck.

20:41:29 Group 013: Idle Speed Smooth Running Control
-1.13 mg/str Cyl 1 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
1.13 mg/str Cyl 2 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
-0.16 mg/str Cyl 3 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H
0.09 mg/str Cyl 4 -2.8 to +2.8 mg/H

Latest Logs above after adjusting the Synchro and it runs lovely and smooth and idles lovely just still way down on the power

That looks a lot better to me.

The only other thing I can think of is the MAF

That looks a lot better to me.

The only other thing I can think of is the MAF

Funny car went into limp mode last Thursday and it was the maf that went lol replaced on Sat there.

Have to check Cam next. Though it's very smooth running