20" rims or lower it?

northernlights

A12 Road eater
Reaction score
got a a3 with 19 inc wheels but there is a lot of gap between the wheel arch and tyre i thought 19's would give it that lower loook with out having to lower it. can i fit 20 inc wheels on a a3 or is that to much or if im goning lto ower it how i was guessing 35mil but i live in london where theres loads of humps and i got a low front bumber?

whats is best people?

If you put 20" wheels on it without lowering it, It would become even higher...If i was you i would buy some £200 coilovers of Ebay...Happy days lol.

are they ajustable tho? would have tobe because of all the f*** humps

You do realise that the 'adjustable' part of coilover suspension isn't a 5 minute job?

You can't just get out the car and 'adjust' the height because you need to get over a speed bump...

I would suggest you adjust the height to give you the best compromise between the look you are after and practicality.

19" wheels are too big for an A3 as it is, 20" is just silly....

-30mm is about as low as anyone really needs to go tbh...

<tuffty/>

i know how ajusting suspension works but just dont want it to be to low having to slow right down every time i see a hump. as for the wheels they where free so i aint goning to complane about the size of them. what about gas ajustable?

sounds like you need air,

20s would deffor be overwheeling it btw

Why don' you sell the free 20's and buy a nice set of coilovers to set the height at a nice useable height, as you already run bone crunching 19's anyway.

And IIRC you have killed an IC already at std ride height.

you lot are meant to be helping not taking the ****. the ride aint that bad i had a p reg fiat bravo b4 so it feels like heaven the stiff ride. lol

20's is rediculous on an A3. 19's are maximum IMO

I still think 18's and lower looks decent and is still very useable

Thats what id do mate, get some second hand 18s then lower it, thats what most people on here have done.

Bet its like a monster truck atm !

just remember the bigger the wheel the heavier it is, gives the car more unsprung weight can ruin good handeling not to mention lots of extra stress on ball joints wheel bearings etc. It kills your acceleration and reduces your braking distances all in all not good. As the others suggest go for a good quality set of light weight 18's with correctly set up lowered suspension and feel the difference - Faster, better balance, better ride quality and in my opinion will look twice the car !!!!:icon_thumright:

what alloys you got for sale northernlights???....i like my 20s on my a3,very true points made buy everyone tho, weight handeling issues acceleration reduced for sure but still fair fast (mines tuned) and reduces your braking distances everyones entitled to there opinion i like mine ;')

tbh i would rather put 18's on it i want bbs lm's but i think forr now i will just have to find a ride hight that looks good but aint to low that it rips the front end off. the wheels i got on it now are just a standard 5 spoke 19 inch

a3y.jpg

Bumper.jpg

I've got 19's on mine an it's lowered 30mill, only lower springs tho, rides lovely an the gaps just right. Doesn't rud at all, even with passengers.

It would look better on coilovers to be fair.

What they gave me a good deal on 19's...i had to lol!!

(Only just joined the site an haven't quite got the picture on the signature thing sorted yet....quite difficult whilst at work! Theres a small pic on my profile)

Last edited:
Would it be a bad thing if it ripped the front end off ??

sadly mate, the reason you're ripping your bumper off all the time is because it's sitting too low!

those 8p lookalike bumpers are too deep for the A3, and as seen in your pic, they're REALLY low even on a standard height car. it looks totally unbalanced compared to the sides and the rear.

Ditch that nasty bumper for a standard one, and you'll be able to go down 40-50mm happily without worrying about it getting smashed.

surely everybody slows down to 3-4mph for speed bumps anyway?

im still yet to put side skirts on it and a rear bumper. my plan was to put it the stock bumper back on it but i had some much trouble finding the two half i needed i just gave up a put this modi bumper but regerting it now.

When you say S3 conversion (note spelling!) in progress, i thought you meant 8L, not 8P!

how much is air bag suspension? i think im just gonna get shot of the bumper to much hassle goning bk to stock bumper and just add a spliter to it, be much better. now who has a stock stock bumper both parts?

It costs about a grand I think and i have seen video of an a3 8l with them online but i cant fine the link!!!

I say go for 20s and slammmm it boi! Then blaze up some of that Northern Lights and have a good old smoke while admiring the phat gangstarrr look motor

I say go for 20s and slammmm it boi! Then blaze up some of that Northern Lights and have a good old smoke while admiring the phat gangstarrr look motor

Chrome 20s for that gangstaaaaa look!!!