1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20.0 TDI idle speed

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mfspen, May 22, 2006.

1. mfspen

mfspen Member

Recently taken delivery of a new SB 2.0 TDI, and have a query on the idle speed. I find that even when warmed up, the engine idles at around 850-900rpm. Is this faster than it should be ?

I find that when creeping forward in traffic, I constantly have to slip the clutch, as the forward speed is too high even when not touching the throttle at all.

On a related issue, when the engine is cold, there is a great deal of vibration when letting the clutch in and pulling away in 1st.
  2. amb276s3

amb276s3 bird spotter

i asked the same question about my A42.0 tdi, even went back to the dealer, mine is about 875-900 (hard to tell on the dial) but just sounds fast if you are stood in front of the bonnet listenning, and have to adjust my driving technique when in traffic to compensate for the clutch/revs control, i have a new 1.9 tdi caddy and a new 2.2 cdi sprinter which both idle slightly slower and sound more acceptable at tickover.
  3. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

My 2.0Tdi idles at around 900rpm. Also when mine was in for it's serivce I had an A6 2.0Tdi and that idled at the same speed.

J.
  4. wilko

wilko Top Gear

Mines about the same (sometime a little slower depending how hot the engine is). But I had a 2.0 TDI A3 when mine was in for a service and that was pretty much the same.
  5. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I believe diesels have to idle faster than petrols,because of the higher compression the pistons have to overcome.
    If they turned the idle down,they'd stall.
    So I'm told anyway.
    Sounds about right.
  6. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

My 2.0 TDI also idles around 900 and the DSG will cause it to creap unless the foot brake is applied.
  7. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

Just to break with the norm, mine idles at 825rpm, and was 850rpm before the Oettinger remap.

Mine will get going up (that's from stationary) a 1 in 4 hill just using the idle! It's amazing.