2 way vs 3 way speakers

Jay

Reaction score
I'm currently running an aftermarket HU, mono amp and sub. I've rewired the rear door speakers to run off the HU instead of the factory amp. I was hoping they'd give out more sound than they do but they sound pretty horrendous.

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of speakers for the parcel shelf but unsure whether to go for a pair of 6x9's or some 5" 2 ways.

What is the difference between 2 way and 3 way speakers?

Can anyone recommend some under £100. I'm planning on running them off the HU aswell so not really looking to buy another amp.

thanks

Rear speakers are purely for passengers and shouldn't be used to provide better/more sound for the driver. The rears in the A3 are very poorly positioned, and upgrading them will have little effect as they are mounted to a flimsy panel. Parcel shelf speakers are hopeless full stop, especially with a sub.
If you want better sound for the driver then upgrade the fronts, and spend plenty of time installing them as best you can. Again they are mounted to a flimsy door panel, so using MDF adapter rings and Dynamat is essential.

I was hoping it would be a straightforward install. removing door panels looks like a bit of job.

What speakers can you recommend for the front then? and would it mean removing the tweeters aswell or can they stay where they are?

also is there a guide on how to remove the front door panels on an A3 8L.

thanks

No it's quite easy:
Lower the front windows first, then remove the 2 visible screws at the top on either end of the panel. Then remove the single screw behind the grab handle and push the plastic cuff down, to reveal 2 main screws. Remove these then lift the whole panel straight up and out. Remove the locking cable and unplug the electrics and the panel can be completely removed.
Definately replace the tweeters as the Audi ones are garbage. 1" tweeters will be a straight swap, but don't use the Audi tweeter wiring as it has a hi pass filter embedded in the cable.
Replacements really depend on how much you want to spend. I wouldn't spend more than &#163;100, as the performance will be seriously compromised by the flimsy doorcard. Rainbow 230slx's are 5.25" components which are slim enough to fit, but basically any 2 way components with a mounting depth of <55mm will be an improvement.