1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Questions

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by colinurquhart, Sep 8, 2009.

1. colinurquhart

colinurquhart Member

[Sep 8, 2009]
    Hi I have 2 questions to ask if thats ok!. Firstly i have a 98 1.8 avant and love the car but wish now I'd bought the 1.8t or the quattro but nevermind too late so was wondering if it was worthwhile and how hard it would be to put a 1.8t engine into the car and what I'd need. I'd be doing the work myself with another mate. Also does the bonnet grill from a facelift a4 fit straight into a pre facelift bonnet. Cheers:icon_thumright:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2009]
    It comes down to cost TBH. I did the self same swap as you are contemplating, and it took me 18mnths to get the bits i needed for the Right prices and it still costed me £800-£900 in parts, as quite a lot is different.

The engine mates up no problem, the loom needs to be changed, the ECU, the Dash will need re coding, immo resetting. some water pipes are needed, all boostpipes,intercooler itself, and bracket. Airbox and MAF, exhaust system and CAT

On the plus side the grilles are a straight swap.
  4. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 8, 2009]
    Yep Mark's the man for this conversion.
  5. colinurquhart

colinurquhart Member

[Sep 8, 2009]
    By the sound of it I may be just aswell buying a 1.8t avant instead then sell mine to recoup some of the costs. cheers guys
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2009]
    yer i suspect that unless you've invested a lot of cash into your car in terms of bodywork or the other mechanicals/running gear then selling it and buying a turbo is the sensible way to go.