2 Good Tyres or 4 Average Tyres

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The slip in my wheels is getting a little unbearable (noticed yesterday it's got three miss matched budgets and one Michelin which is low on tread! Shocking!).

The wheel's are 19's (235/35/19) so with the nightmare cost I don't want to go wrong with the purchase.

Should I pick up:

2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S for around £180 a tyre (£360 total) then get another two at a later date.

or

4x Kumho Ecsta Le Sport for around £100 a tyre (£400 total) then be done with the four.

Some people might argue Kumho's are better than average but I have no experience with the brand new Michelin's or Kumho's so if anyone wants to chime in on that I'd like to hear what people think too.

Seen a few horror stories with Kumho tyres splitting around the sidewall on the inside edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gazwould
Seen a few horror stories with Kumho tyres splitting around the sidewall on the inside edge.

From what I can find searching it appears this was on some discontinued tyres and also from people who got dead stock but if you have any links to threads or reviews like this they would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I bought four Nexen N8000 and have been pleasantly surprised with them. Michelin are the best replace two and do the other two later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran Kumho Ecsta Sport LE's on my A6 Avant, 3.0 Quattro and in my opinion they're great for the money. Very grippy if a bit noisy but at £400 for the lot you can't go wrong.

Reactions: DieselJake
Was running Kumho tyres for about 3 years and for a budget tyre have been impressed. Many high speed miles and even a bit of track work. Not awesome but more than acceptable

The Kumho offers no rim protection , stories of sidewall splits and bulges .

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_1_Noise:_69dB

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3 for £130 odd each.

If you were on a budget but still wanted a good tyre -
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24...Eff_:_F_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_70dB

I have used the Vorti in the past and was very impressed. They performed excellent on the road and dealt with a sopping wet Mallory Park without issue!

Factor in delivery (from Camskill its£8 I think?) and fitting approx £15 each.
Also get a good quality 4 wheel alignment for a decent shop. This will make a world of difference.