2 front brakes and pads - recommendations?

jackj

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had my free health check at Audi, and my front brakes are lipped and my pads are 90% worn - although it doesn't feel like this at all!

Anyway, I need to get 2 new front breaks and pads - any recomendations? Audi have quoted me £244.14 to supply.

Thanks all

I am also interested in this as I think mine needs discs and pads all round.
I have used brakeparts.co.uk before but I am unsure whether to get oem for this car!
Quite a price difference.

Standard audi-sport recommendation for pads - Ferodo DS2500, discs I can't help with though. You'll be able to get the OEM ones cheaper than from Audi though, just don't know where.

I'm thinking of getting Black Diamond grooved and drilled brakes with Black Diamond pads - any good?

Don't get drilled discs, they have a habit of cracking and you really won't need them. Not worth the risk.

Grooved should be fine, but again probably more than you'll need. To be honest, I haven't really looked at replacement brakes for 8Ps (spent a long time deciding to stay with the S3 discs and ferodo pads on my 8L). Have you looked at getting S3 brakes? Not sure if the standard calipers would be a straight fit onto S3 discs, but surely they'd be better than the ones that come on a TDi.

Just starting thinking about S3 ones now - can you recommend anywhere to get them?

Don't pagid make audi's discs/pads, they're pretty cheap on eurocarparts.

Again, afraid not. I'm an ideas man :idea:... other people work out the details. I might have a set coming up for sale in the next week or so (depending on clearance of my wheels and new brakes).

If I got S3 calipers, brakes and pads would I be ok to put these straight into my A3? Or would I need anything else to make the conversion work? Thanks!

Not sure, but I think it's just a case of taking the old calipers off and bolting the new ones in place. Don't think there's a different bracket or anything.

Thanks mate - can anyone confirm this?

Actually, thinking about it that doesn't make sense. The bigger rotor means the caliper is further out from the hub, there must be a different bracket. I don't know if that comes as part of a kit... I'll check what came with my setup and see how much comes off of the standard setup once it's all off.

Thanks mate - appreciated - talk soon

Just had a look, the R8 calipers come with brackets and peg bits to go straight onto the hub, so the S3 stuff will be coming out completely. I don't know if the S3 calipers attach in the same way though, think we'll just have to wait until someone who knows for sure comes along.

As for uprated pads - the Ferodo DS2500s that I said first work with standard discs (on an S3 anyway, I'd assume there's an A3 version too).