1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.8 quattro starting problem

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by cobes1981, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cobes1981

cobes1981 New Member

When i am trying to start the car, more when it is warm, the starter just seems to spin but not kick, thats what it sounds like anyway, then after a few attempts it will start. Sometimes it will sound like it is away to start and then you just hear the starter spinning noise again.

Thought i had it figured out that the starter solenoid was buggered, so i changed that yesterday but it has made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

just to clarify the noise, is it making the normal wub wub wub wub wub type noise you'd get but not firing up

or is it going fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......

or perhaps clickclickclickclickclickclick (really quickly, a bit like a machinegun)?

:D hopefully if you can pick one of those it'll help diagnose the issue!
  3. cobes1981

cobes1981 New Member

It is going fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......

I am positive that it is just the starter spinning, it is not attempting to turn the engine over.
  4. jameshughes1974

jameshughes1974 Member

It sounds like the solenoid on the starter is faulty.
    This is what moves the cog on the starter to engage with the flywheel.
    The best on car test is to (briefly) try starting the car in gear.
    If the car moves then the solenoid is ok
    If you are still getting the same motor running fast sound and no movement then the solenoid is stuffed.
    Dont do it for to long though as the starter motor wont like you trying to drive the car with it.
    A good auto electrican should be able to fit a new one to the starter.

You would save money by taking the starter off yourself and handing it over a desk.
    Not sure how hard it is on a 2.8 though.
    If you are in the cheshire area try "David Edge Auto Electrical" near Tarporley.
  5. jameshughes1974

jameshughes1974 Member

Just re read your post- you have changed the solenoid already
    if it was a Known working part then ignore my last post.
    If it was me i would be stripping the starter down - cleaning it then regreasing.
    And make sure all electrical contacts are bright and shiny, including the "paths" through the starter body to the solenoid
  6. cobes1981

cobes1981 New Member

This is the path i will probably have to take, i was just so sure it was the solenoid that when i took the starter off i didn't go too far in the cleaning up of it, i just fitted the new solenoid, greased the connections and refitted.

It only takes my 5 minutes to get the starter off so will give that a go, probably be the weekend now though.

The only other thing i noticed is that there might be a bracket missing off the starter maybe affecting the earthing. I seen a picture on a web site of a bracket on the front of the starter but mine has nothing it is just fixed onto the box with 2 bolts. Not sure if it was the same model of car in the picture though.

I had kind of ruled out the actual starter being knackered too cause it always spins, i inspected the teeth when i took it off and they looked fine.