1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.6QS rear knocking noise, Help !

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by BLP, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BLP

BLP Member

[Feb 29, 2008]
    Hi All,
    I have developed a knocking noise form the rear of my car, its got worse since it came back from the mechanics today? I think it is coming from the rear passengers side wheel area but could also be coming from somewhere underneath the car centrally, these are the instances when I get it:

1. Whenever I go over small dips in the road at medium to high speeds.
    2. When turning right quite hard forcing the weight of the car into that side
    3. When breaking relativly hard in some circumstances

It sounds like its coming from the hub area of the rear passengers side but not entirely sure,

Any help very much appreciated,

Thanks

Ben.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Siena

Siena Active Member

[Feb 29, 2008]
    Hi Ben, and welcome aboard!

I have a similar car, a '96 2.6 Quattro Sport.

I had a lot of clonking when I purchased her last July. It turned out to be the rear arm bushes. One was so worn, the centre fell out, when I removed the through bolt!

I replaced all of them, at 203,000 miles, I knew they'd be shot. Now, she's smooth. no more clonks over uneven surfaces, at slow speeds.

That's where I'd look first.

As for the knocking from underneath, when shifting weight, I'd say the front control arms must be shot to hell. Again, I replaced all my front lowers, and the handling tightened up considerably.
  4. BLP

BLP Member

[Mar 1, 2008]
    Thanks Siena,

Can I buy these bits online, not really sure what I am looking for?

Is this likely to be expensive, I am not a great mechanic (yet) so might this be costly in labour time too?

Cheers

BLP
  5. Siena

Siena Active Member

[Mar 1, 2008]
    I got the rear bushes from Audi, you can't get them aftermarket. I also got the front arms from Audi.

You can get the front arms from the likes of ECP / GSF, but they don't seem to last long. I tried a set, and it was never right from day one. 2 months later, they were banging their brains out again, so I used genuine Audi items, and spot on.

They're not cheap from Audi, fitting isn't too bad, as long as you have decent tools, as well as a basic understanding of how things fit.

Where abouts are you?