2.6 opinions

Rob_k

Reaction score
hi gys had a 1.8t a couple of months ago and now looking for another again as im missing my old girl. ive seen a few cheap 2.6's what peoples thoughts on these and compared to the 1.8t? thanks Rob

I currently run a '96 A4 quattro 2.6 sport. Very happy with it, MPG is reasonable, and it goes well enough. Slightly slower 0-60mph than a stock 1.8T with the same power (150PS) but has more midrange. Max speed is similar.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 4 cylinder engines, I prefer the smoothness of a V6 / V8. 4 cylinder engines can sound coarse at high rpm too.

1.8T engine is obviously more tuneable, being forced induction. But, there are supercharger kits available for the V6 engines, if you're handy with the spanners, there are Eaton blowers on ebay for not too much dough too, so the choice is yours.

Dire I'm afraid, even the 2.8 which is a lot more powerful (192bhp) than the 2.6 (as it has the 30valve engine), isn't really on a par with the 1.8T as theres no real opportunity for tuning. All you're getting with the V6 is a better noise when idling and horrendous fuel consumption.

AndyMac said:
Dire I'm afraid, even the 2.8 which is a lot more powerful (192bhp) than the 2.6 (as it has the 30valve engine), isn't really on a par with the 1.8T as theres no real opportunity for tuning. All you're getting with the V6 is a better noise when idling and horrendous fuel consumption.

Hmm, not sure about that. Audi quote performance in the instruction manual as:

1.8T-20V: Maximum - 222km/h, 0-80km/h - 5.8secs, 0-100km/h - 8.3secs
2.6-12V: Maximum - 220km/h, 0-80km/h - 6.1secs, 0-100km/h - 8.7secs
2.8-30V: Maximum - 240km/h, 0-80km/h - 5.4secs, 0-100km/h - 7.3secs

Fuel economy? Lol, if that were an issue, us Audi fans would be driving the A4 1.6, and those who choose the 1.8T or V6 models wouldn't modify them, we'd keep them bone stock!

The S4 / RS4 do use more fuel than the 1.8T, but how many owners consider this when buying them? Not many. I've had the opportunity to drive the 1.8T on a regular basis, as well as the 2.8-30V. No comparison in terms of performance. 43PS and 70Nm certainly make a difference.

im with siena on the v6, i love my 2.8 the engine is silky smooth, and so much more refined than the 4 cylinder.

when i was chosing my a4 i test drove 1.8t an 2.8 and the 2.8 always came out on top.

yes there arent so many tuning options out there for the v6,so if you looking for a car to tune easily then go for the 1.8t,

and if you paranoid about fuel costs then do go for the v6 but if you are paranoid then you wont tune any car lol

Siena out of interest, what kinda power would a supercharger safely add to a 2.8?
And what kind of cost you talking about?
Last question how heavy is the 2.8 lump compared to the 1.9tdi (so I can get an idea on handling)

I get my car back soon and will prolly keep it for another year and then I want to get something a bit special, I love the sound of a V6 but I want to be looking at more then 200bhp.
Then again I guess cams, straight through system and a remap would push the 2.8 to 215bhp as a guess? Perhaps a bit more.

(sorry for hijacking thread)

according to mij yesterday when i was there, with a full exhaust, filter and they reccomended a panel one, and a remap the 2.8 (193bhp version) should be getting close to 211 - 215 bhp, and a remap there costs £280 all in

so if you price it up it will cost approx £30 per 1 bhp gain..........if i done my maths right

I didn't say the 1.8T was faster, I said it would be faster with a remap and would certainly feel a lot faster. What I said was the 2.8 is a whole lot quicker than the 2.6, but still wouldn't feel as quick as a remapped 1.8T. Don't get me wrong I love my 2.8Q, and I would still choose it over a 1.8T, but if you're into tuning then it's not really the right choice.

205man said:
according to mij yesterday when i was there, with a full exhaust, filter and they reccomended a panel one, and a remap the 2.8 (193bhp version) should be getting close to 211 - 215 bhp, and a remap there costs £280 all in

so if you price it up it will cost approx £30 per 1 bhp gain..........if i done my maths right

Ohh nice, I wonder what cams would get ya with all that then.

Mine is returning around 27-32mpg on a motorway run. Around town it returns below 20mpg! But, i knew it would be a thirsty car Before i bought it & it has not dissappointed! lol!

On the subject of tuning, Mine has a Full Scorpion Stainless Steel Exhaust & has been chipped, it is producing around 230BHP. Over the standard 193 BHP.
:yes:

I've had my 2.6 for about 2yrs now and bottom line is...
2.6 is a cruiser for eating up motorway miles. Seats are comfy especially if they're the Sport version. I get about 33mpg (on well maintained car & quattro). You can push the car to have fun with the quattro but it needs a good kicking and it can't always be *****.
If you want to go hooning about & don't give a **** about your mpg, and if you want to have a good tit about with the engine, then the 1.8T is your man.
But what I will say is, whatever you do, get a quattro
Si.