1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5tdi

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by BakPak, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Dec 30, 2012]
    A4 2.5tdi 1999. The charging light flickered for a few days and now stays on 90% of the time going off occassionally. Can a duff battery cause this or is it most likely the alternator?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. Steve B5 Biker

Steve B5 Biker Member

[Dec 30, 2012]
    Had exact same issue, and like you thought it was battery at first,turned out alternator goosed, bought a refurbed one problem sorted.
  4. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Dec 30, 2012]
    Is it not possible just to change the brushes and rectifier on these units?. I know on older ones you could...
  5. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Dec 30, 2012]
    The brake servo pump is leaking oil. Is the alternator below the pump on the left side of the engine?
    Maybe oil has contaminated the brushes? Is it worth spraying some cleaner into the alternator or
    would that be a bad idea?!!!
  6. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Dec 31, 2012]
    Alternator goosed, will require bumper removal and front panel in service position...
  7. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Dec 31, 2012]
    I'm told the aircon pump needs removing to gain access to the alternator is that correct?
    Well impressed with this site, learnt lots tonight definately buying some mr muscle tomorrow!
  8. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Jan 2, 2013]
    Drove into town yesterday battery light off, all ok. On start up to come home battery light on constant.

To remove the alternator will I get sufficient access by sliding the front panel forwards on a couple of
    rods or will it need shifting out of the way?

Also, what's the crack with the aircon pump?

Thanks.
  9. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Jan 3, 2013]
    Drove car again today charging light off for a few miles then on. When I got home took the airbox and
    Intercooler hose off, the alternator is covered in oil and muck. Looks like the cam cover is leeking. I
    released the black connector holding 2 wires bluish in colour I think. On feeling the back of the alternator
    it feels like another cable on a crimped eyelet type connection which I didn't remove.
    When I examined the 2 bluish coloured wires 1 of them had a small bit of insulation missing exposing a bit
    of conductor. Wow I thought found the problem! After taping the cable put it all back together and ran the
    engine but light still on.
    Took black connector off and using a mutimeter found both cables common to earth which surprised me.
    Then with one probe on battery positive I touched the engine with the other probe and meter went beep which
    stunned me! I hooked the meter across the battery and with it beeping away I removed each fuse in turn but
    it beeped constantly. My next idea was to disconnect the neg and pos from the battery to see what effect that
    had but suddenly the problem went away!

Any thoughts people?
    Also how I've described the alternator is it bosch or lucas?

If only it was like my old capri or cortina! 10 minutes to change an alternator!
  10. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Jan 3, 2013]
    It's a Bosch...
  11. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Jan 4, 2013]
    Thanks at least I know which model the alternator is now. I may as well source a replacement
    in case I flog the car.

Is there another forum with electrical boffins on it don't seem to be getting any feedback?!!
  12. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Jan 4, 2013]
    Just stuck my car on ebay ! Can't be doing with the grief!!!
    Pictures on album on my profile page.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. BakPak

BakPak No Gear

[Jan 6, 2013]
    Ebay rocks sold it!