2.5TDI V6 SUCKING NOISE

swarcup

Reaction score
Story is im hunting a boost leak at the moment because when the boost kicks in there is an audible hiss and when i first bought the car it was quiet. If the engine is running and i have the bonnet up and give the accelerator a blip when the revs are settling down there is a sucking sound for about a second, does this sound right or could i be close to the culpret do you think, engine is an (ake)

Check the rubber pipes from turbo outlet to metal hard pipe and the lower intercooler pipes. Look for oily residue on the pipes. Also, the intercoolers can be split as well only way is to remove and pressure test in a water tank-if the leak isn't obvious. I also hope is not your turbocharger as they make a similar sound when off boost or wearing out.

thanks for the reply, im down to see you on saturday for the belts etc so i may pick your brain then, ive recently just done my lower front bumper and when it was off i did notice the metal pipe that joins the intercoolers at the bottom could be a culprit, although i cant say it is a bit rusty and never had time to inspect properly.

Had a sucking on mine through the turbo, week later started smoking really bad, cams had worn and two rocker arms had dropped off. :-(

thanks for the reply, im down to see you on saturday for the belts etc so i may pick your brain then, ive recently just done my lower front bumper and when it was off i did notice the metal pipe that joins the intercoolers at the bottom could be a culprit, although i cant say it is a bit rusty and never had time to inspect properly.

Did you find out what the problem was as i am having similar symptoms?

cheers

NO Sorry iv not really looked into it anymore, i suspect its a split intercooler from what ive read. the noise is certainly coming from that area. sounds like darth vader and is louder when the engine is cold.

I know it's an old thread but did you manage to find the problem?
Thanks!