2.5tdi upgrades

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
After my track session on saturday at ADI, was wondering what performance upgrades i can do to my Allroad without spending a fortune.

Curious about the limits of the VP44's fuel delivery and what turbos can be a bolt fit (kind of how the K04-015 is on the 1.8t A4). read a bit about the GT2559v being a bolt on job.

Any suggestions?

There are a couple of stages of tuning you can go trough however tuning on a budget is not easy to do ! You will need a hybrid turbo for stage 1, a remap and a 3 Bar map sensor. Stage 2 will require a 4 Bar map sensor, a larger turbo, aftermarket nozzles and a solid FMIC. Stage 3 will be a gtb2260vk, large nozzles,Sachs SRE clutch, 4 Bar MAP and a few more bells and whistles however you will have over 350 Bhp in the end so you will be looking at brakes and suspension upgrades !

When you say "hybrid" turbo, what do you mean Chris? I have successfully tuned my old A4 1.8t on a budget, got up to around 230 from 150, spent probably couple of hundred.

Im not looking for huge power, something around the 250-300 mark would be fine as I'd like it to be reliable power without being too detrimental to the MPG

To my knowledge there are no "bolt on" mods available for the v6 tdi yet, most bits have to be custom ! You will need injector nozzles for your power goal, the stock injectors cannot flow much past 200 Bhp. Then depending on engine code you either have a L or an E pump. The E pump has the famous 3 plunger/larger pressure head so it can flow more fuel without major decrease in pressure, the L pump will be maxed out at 52-60mg/stroke. The duration maps are stored inside the ECU so you cannot modify the fuel maps so the only way is by cheating the pump and fitting larger nozzles !

A hybrid turbo is a turbo that has either a bigger compressor or a combination of larger turbine and larger compressor ! The stock turbo has a 52mm compressor wheel which can be upgraded to 56mm, 60mm, 66mm and even bigger if "boost by appointment" is your thing ! To do a good job in extracting as much energy from exhaust and drive the larger compressor wheels then the turbine needs upgrading as well ! I used gt20 and gt22 turbine wheels with various trims and positive results and i have built many a turbo in order to get the best compromise between spool, response and fuel economy ! When you're ready to go further then let me know, save your pennies as mods for the v6 tdi are not too cheap: injector nozzles are anything between 300 and 600 quid then they will need pop testing, the turbos will require custom bits so internals from different series turbos need to be mixed in order to get the desired results and to top it up the map needs to tie all the ingredients for the recipe to work ! You will also need to add a bigger map sensor to get more scope of measuring the increased boost from the hybrid turbo and the calibrations required in order to "see" what it's what ! Personally i think that 2-3k spent on your allroad will get it on the same par with a b6 s4 with 3 times better fuel economy ! You will get a bottleneck with the clutch, intercooler and oil cooling as they were never designed to cope with 300 Bhp ! Do it right and it will be very, very reliable, cut corners and it will bite your backside !

To my knowledge there are no "bolt on" mods available for the v6 tdi yet, most bits have to be custom ! You will need injector nozzles for your power goal, the stock injectors cannot flow much past 200 Bhp. Then depending on engine code you either have a L or an E pump. The E pump has the famous 3 plunger/larger pressure head so it can flow more fuel without major decrease in pressure, the L pump will be maxed out at 52-60mg/stroke. The duration maps are stored inside the ECU so you cannot modify the fuel maps so the only way is by cheating the pump and fitting larger nozzles !

A hybrid turbo is a turbo that has either a bigger compressor or a combination of larger turbine and larger compressor ! The stock turbo has a 52mm compressor wheel which can be upgraded to 56mm, 60mm, 66mm and even bigger if "boost by appointment" is your thing ! To do a good job in extracting as much energy from exhaust and drive the larger compressor wheels then the turbine needs upgrading as well ! I used gt20 and gt22 turbine wheels with various trims and positive results and i have built many a turbo in order to get the best compromise between spool, response and fuel economy ! When you're ready to go further then let me know, save your pennies as mods for the v6 tdi are not too cheap: injector nozzles are anything between 300 and 600 quid then they will need pop testing, the turbos will require custom bits so internals from different series turbos need to be mixed in order to get the desired results and to top it up the map needs to tie all the ingredients for the recipe to work ! You will also need to add a bigger map sensor to get more scope of measuring the increased boost from the hybrid turbo and the calibrations required in order to "see" what it's what ! Personally i think that 2-3k spent on your allroad will get it on the same par with a b6 s4 with 3 times better fuel economy ! You will get a bottleneck with the clutch, intercooler and oil cooling as they were never designed to cope with 300 Bhp ! Do it right and it will be very, very reliable, cut corners and it will bite your backside !
Just thought I'd jump on this thread. Chris can you PM me with the cost of building a hybrid turbo for my AKE? I want to shoot for 260 for my autobahn driving. I will source the nozzles here in Germany. Cheers Andrew