1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5TDi Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) Replacement Guide

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by quattrojames, Aug 8, 2011.

1. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 8, 2011]
    Car's been showing some random temperatures of late, with a recent thermostat and water pump I decided to give this a go. These are part numbers and prices from TPS:

059919501A Temperature Sender £26.17
    032121142 Retaining Spring £0.42
    90316802 O ring £0.93
    Plus 1.5L G12 £4.28

[​IMG]

Pop the cover off and here is the sensor, I was quite pleased to see mine looked like it had been weeping, helped to convince me it was at fault:

[​IMG]

The little plastic locking spring can be eased out carefully so you don't drop it:

[​IMG]

I used pliers, as long as you've got a replacement you don't need it. But knowing my luck it would pop the timing belt off!

[​IMG]

It will just lift out then. It's best to unplug it before lifting it out to minimise coolant loss, but this is for demonstration - the little catch just levers up and it will pull out. You might not be able to do this in situ, I couldn't, hence the G12 above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned the plug up and sprayed some water dispersant in, and also wiped around the O ring seal. Don't forget to take the old O ring out if it doesn't come out with the sensor!

[​IMG]

Fit the sensor:

[​IMG]

Job's a good 'un:

[​IMG]

I ran the car at this point to make sure there were no leaks. Top up the G12 and you're done:

[​IMG]

Mine looked pretty grotty so I've no objections to the £38 spent.

[​IMG]
    Carlisle v6 tdi likes this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. TonyColby

TonyColby New Member

[Apr 7, 2013]
    Brilliant! Couldn't object at the £36 either. I combined this with changing the six glow plugs (which wasn't quit so straightforward) but I have a car that starts first time without a Bond-like smoke screen!!

Thanks for the article and giving me the confidence to do the job myself.

Tony