2.5tdi advice

I think this could be one where the cams wear easily.Belt change is a big job up to£ 7/800 depending on where you go

In standard form it's rather underpowered, 150bhp in today's money it's not that much, however 200Bhp it's easy to get even on standard hardware. I would keep me eyes peeled for a quattro 180Bhp model, they have better kit and more desirable... Early models had crude fueling maps so no emissions restrictions...Missus's a4 AFB quattro goes rather well with a 3 plunger pump and 180Bhp Sports turbo !
Check the cams if you can and breather filter to later 180Bhp spec.

personally i think they're a pretty crap engine choice.

****e fuel economy

Loads of issues, including pump failure and camshaft failure waiting to bite you in the wallet bigtime.

Big heavy boat anchor of a thing and a complete nightmare to work on compared with 4 cylinder motor.

went to see it tonight... 256k smoked badly under acceleration. told him to walk away.
stopped by another mates on the way home and ended out with a 110 TDi passat for him which hes happy with.

Vag group does not have large 4 cylinder diesel engines so their solution was to add a cylinder or two in order to build a bigger engine. From a performance point of view what the 4 cylinder cannot do well is build torque low down and high speed with ordinary gearing which a v6 tdi engine can do very easy. As i drive on the continent very often, i found 4 cylinder engines rather noisy and at the autobahn cruising speeds they are heavier on fuel than the 6 cylinder engines. In my book 45 Mpg average is not bad from a 1500-1800Kg car with 4 wheel drive and all mod cons. Weight and drag is what impacts fuel economy hence why most manufacturers went to plastics and all alloy engines which do not last- i have a 320d Bmw in the workshop with a cracked block- only 36k on the clock, 2008 !
What the v6 2.5 tdi lacks is a better turbocharger and a optimised map, it has every other ingredient stock from factory: good gearbox, strong clutch and a decent chassis that can put the power on the road...
For argument sake my 250k diesel does low 40's average on 20" wheels and with large turbo and massive injectors. I get 450 miles on a tankfull driven round town, not too shabby in my book...yes, a 4 cyl. diesel will do a bit more but not by much.

Reactions: spartacus 68, jbh and PAULF
My 2.5 is noticeably lower on bottom end torque than it used to.be. Sometimes feels a bit flat then takes off like the good old days. EGR not blanked, had turbo replaced a few years ago (new, standard) injection pump reconditioned (ex Lucas staff member) boost solenoid, N75 replaced. Not wanting to blindly throw cash at it....
Any suggestions?

You pays you money and makes your choice..... I really liked the smoothness of the v6 combined with the auto trans - not overly powerful at 150 brake but plenty there to make the overtake safely on an A road. I find the 4 pot more relaxed around town as the torque appears lower down the rev range. For me the v6 was a more sophisticated drive and I liked the noise it made better. However when I was driving 84 miles a day I was very happy to have the much better mpg of the 1.9.

The torque produced by the v6 tdi is very linear, that's why it seems slow- max torque is between 1500 and 3200 rpm's, it has a very, very flat power curve which won't give you whiplash every time you change gear !
85 miles per day is a long drive and you do save a bit of money in the 1.9 Tdi. Now, the old rotary engine AFN/AVG/AHH,etc. returned great fuel economy, the new PD are far less economical. Just to give you an example: i have a golf gt tdi 130Bhp mapped to about 165 Bhp(also has a 2.0tdi turbocharger fitted: larger turbine and compressor wheel with small trim so it builds boost quicker), it does 200 miles for £50 worth of fuel- same as my 300 Bhp a6 quattro ! We are comparing nimble FWD with heavy quattro a6 estate and i don't drive it lightly at all ! The figures are round town with occasional drive on motorway... The a6 is more planted, much more grippy and accelerates/brakes better. It also has a better interior compared with the vw... Did i mentioned the larger engine is cheaper to insure compared with the 1.9 Tdi ?