2.5 v6 tdi 2004 allroad dead\scrap\repair or break but love car

ms1083

Reaction score
Gearbox failed so had one from a breaker yard fitted. New genuine gearbox oil and filter fitted but box not working. Not pumping oil round. Very annoyed as 11 hour job to fit gearbox. garage thinks its the gearbox oil pump rather than torque converter. The pump from old box is ok so a combination of the fitted box and the old one will make a working box hopefully but would cost at least another 11 mechanic time. Really don't want to have to pay out more but love the car. Still have both gearboxes, the failed one is only 3.5 years old and was a remanufactured genuine audi one, the currently fitted one from breakers apparently worked fine when removed from donor car.

I have recently fitted new Arnott front springs and compressor, kept car in very good condition, engine in good order no problems at last mot but just a dead gearbox now.

Any advice? I have replaced car so no urgency. Car is in Taunton, Somerset. Current thoughts are to risk wasting more money paying garage, sell in current state on eBay, break for parts or hope for some help or offers here. As said would love to get running again but getting very close to what I can afford to pay to repair.

the one that failed, done about 50,000 miles - 4 year old audi remanufactured box, failed on motorway would only operate in 4th gear no reverse. oil was black, burnt and full of metal fragments, garage found nut/bolt floating around loose in gearbox sump. seen it on floor at garage, its internal parts are all covered in metal shards including torque converter, unsure what has gone in side it but a massively expensive job to strip, clean repair and reassemble. Its in a semi disassembled state at garage but all there

the breakers yard box that is now in car. done 110,000 miles. looked all fine, came with a torque converter that looked fine. was fitted, filled with new audi gearbox oil and oil filter. apparatnly turned a bit when tested part was through assembily then suddenly stopped - garage assumed that was the abs or other sensors stopping it as was suspended on ramp at the time. but no, never ran again. only took 5 out of the 9 litres of oil, didn't get hot and has no oil pressure. all diagnostics ok. valves clicking etc but just no oil pressure. garage said likely to be torque converter or oil pump. converter looked fine when checked so assuming now its the oil pump in the gearbox. I have been given full refund for the box from breakers yard so only of of pocket £850 for fitting costs and the oil/parts etc.

as I said if any way of getting car going would be brilliant but any suggestions offers all possibilities.

If it only took 5 out of the 9 liters then it's not got enough in it.
It would have been completely empty when you got it.
Did they get it up to temp when filling.
Had 2 torque converters fail on me over the years one would cause a vibration and the other wouldn't drive but still went backwards.

I know, but filling it requires filling it until it overflows and again once at certain temperature - they followed the audi instructions. but the oil is not pumping round the gearbox to get hot or make more space in sump for the rest of the oil. actually whilst typing this I wonder if they can force the last few litres in somerwhere else (via gearbox oil radiator maybe?) maybe it would work -

is there a such things as a transmission flush - connect some sort of machine to transmission somehow to force cleaning fluid through it, maybe it would get it going?

Anything is worth a try.
I know it's a chance you take buying from a breakers but i would have thought they would have driven the car and wouldn't intentionally sell a duff box.

I know, but filling it requires filling it until it overflows and again once at certain temperature - they followed the audi instructions. but the oil is not pumping round the gearbox to get hot or make more space in sump for the rest of the oil. actually whilst typing this I wonder if they can force the last few litres in somerwhere else (via gearbox oil radiator maybe?) maybe it would work -

Is there a possibility thet they forgot to put the rubber O ring on the Transmission fluid filter?