1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 v6 running on biodiesel

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by pdf11, Sep 26, 2011.

1. pdf11

pdf11 New Member

hi all. I've been running my '99 a4 avant 2.5 v6 on 50/50 biodiesel mix since april, covered around 6000 miles with no troubles at all. The only problem it can have is starting in a morning, it sometimes takes for ever to fire up. Once its started though, its fine for the rest of the day. just wondering if anyone else is running a v6 this way and offer any solutions to 1st ime starting!!....
    cheers
  2. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

What are your glow plugs like? Maybe the combustion gasses from the bio fuel is killing or putting a film on the plugs effectively reducing the heat from being transferred?
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Is it PROPER biodiesel?

If so, theres generally no problem running it on a Bosch VE pump as used on the 2.5.

If your using SVO or filtered WVO thats a completely different story.

Have you changed your fuel filter at all? Bio can often dissolve various **** from the tank and lines which can clog up the filter.
  4. pdf11

pdf11 New Member

thanks for the replies. glow plugs could be an idea, its done 151,000 so may need changing. its good bio, been making it for 5 years and not had this problem before, changed the filter after about 2 tanks when i bought it. completely bypassed the glow plugs!!! lol.
    could someone tell me how to check the plugs, is it a case of taking each one out or will it come up as an error code?
    thanks for your help....
  5. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

take the plug out and inspect it, some break down over time. To test, have a spare 12v car battery ready and a jump lead. connect plug to the battery and wait a few secs, should glow red pretty quickly! If it takes time, then change them.

A bit like spark plugs, always better to replace all rather than just one!

If you haven't changed them and had the car for a while, then for the price, I'd just change them anyway.
  6. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

be very carefull when removing the glow plugs, theey have a tendency to snap in the head ! Soak them in plus gas/wd40 penetrating oil for a day or 2 and make shure the engine is hot...