2.5 v6 DMF

stimpy

Reaction score
just had my car diagnosed with a DMF that is starting to fail, can the car still be driven without damaging other components. this will just be until i can rake enough cash together to repair it.

i wouldnt like to drive it, prob end up paying out for more work to be done....just my opinion though

If it disintegrates while you are driving, pieces can fly off and puncture the bellhousing and/or the gearbox casing. I probably wouldn't risk it unless you have to.

MF.

Thanks for the replies, but work this out...
Initially i had a diagnosis from a Audi independent retailer, who told me that the cam timing was out??? Ok. possibly, seeing that before i bought the car the whole top end had been rebuilt, cams, belts,injectors.etc. they turned around and said they did not want the job of fixing it???? This was strange as it drove very well with good power..
ok fine, time for a second opinion, the next garage diagnosed a faulty DMF. Lovely a massive parts bill.. contemplating my options, i was having a look a what i needed to do to get the box out. When i took the engine covers off, i found the air pipe to the MAF was only just connected and the jubilee clip was totally loose. probably an oversight when the engine was rebuilt i thought.
Any way i refitted the pipe correctly and tightened the clip up. at this point i finished up and started the car up, Hello!!! no vibration. ok time for a test drive. All vibration was gone, Power was well up. it now drives perfectly.

I spoke to another diesel specilait, he said the possible cause was that the MAF was not getting the correct air flow, so the engine was running very lean and the computers were trying to compensate for it. in doing so the computers were causing the vibration. 30 seconds to tighten a clip.

cant believe i was going to fork out £500 plus for something that was not the problem...

I know this may be an isolated issue, but it may be worth checking the intake components before forking out for a DMF.