2.5 TDi V6 AFB/AKN timing problem

Ben Tearle

Reaction score
Right then, back in August I started changing the water pump, thermostat and all timing belts, tensioners, rollers etc after my 2000 X reg B5 2.5 TDi (AFB/AKN) quattro estate had been off the road for over a year after the bolt on the drive belt tensioner broke, hence the above work wanted to be carried out whilst the front end was removed.

The engine had been running fine when parked up in June 2013 aside from the drive belt tensioner broken bolt problem.

I purchased all the locking tools, turned the engine round by hand at least 4 times before fitting the locking tools (back of camshafts and crank) and removing the old belt, after heli-coiling the main tensioner everything was back on track and the new belt fitted.

I then proceeded to turn the engine round by hand for the 1st time to ensure all the timing marks lined up, after almost a complete turn of the crank I came up against a hard stop and obviously didn't force it any further (1/2 ratchet).

I re-timed the engine god knows how many times, re-checked everything and still had the same problem.

A few weeks later with the aid of another mechanic friend we proceeded to try and locate the locking problem, removed the belt and started to turn the cams and crank very carefully and the culprit turned out to be the LH camshaft (when looking at the front of the car, or drivers side bank from inside).

That cam would turn 360 degree when allowed to and would only cause the lock when the pistons come up to meet, so a valve not returning all the way home?

I can't get my head round it because the engine turned round fine with the old belt and nothing moved during the new timing procedure.

I removed the rocker cover on Saturday and had a look, nothing is obviously broken but it's been a while since I've got that involved with an engine, I need to see if all the valves are sitting at the same height but I'm not sure how too?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)