1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 TDI started smoking since service.

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Ant1984, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Ant1984

Ant1984 New Member

[Feb 8, 2010]
    I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter yesterday, it seemed fine at the time and afterwards but now smoke with a blue tinge (burnt oil) is coming from the exhaust, not loads but it wasnt there yesterday.

Is this somewhat normal after an oil change on a high mileage diesel or is it something else?

I appreciate that it could be something devastatingly bad but is there any smaller, cheaper things worth checking first?

Just had a search, seems maybe the EGR valve should be cleaned out, but this doesnt really solve the problem of why it has started just after a service.

Many thanks

Ant
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. John C

John C Member

[Feb 8, 2010]
    Hi Ant1989
    To see if your EGR valve is blocked remove your oil filler cap & listen for a 'pop' of pressure being released. I had the problem & it seemed to come on all of a sudden & perhaps the oil change is coincidental.
    John C.
  4. Ant1984

Ant1984 New Member

[Feb 8, 2010]
    Thanks,should the car be running or not when I remove the cap.?

It actually seems to have settled down a bit I don't know if I might have slightly overfilled it, it was maybe 1mm over the max mark. I've done that with a lot of cars with no consequence, are the tdis very sensitive to overfilling?