1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 TDI started smoking since service.

Ant1984 Feb 8, 2010

1. Ant1984

Ant1984 New Member

I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter yesterday, it seemed fine at the time and afterwards but now smoke with a blue tinge (burnt oil) is coming from the exhaust, not loads but it wasnt there yesterday.

Is this somewhat normal after an oil change on a high mileage diesel or is it something else?

I appreciate that it could be something devastatingly bad but is there any smaller, cheaper things worth checking first?

Just had a search, seems maybe the EGR valve should be cleaned out, but this doesnt really solve the problem of why it has started just after a service.

Many thanks

Ant

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. John C

John C Member

Hi Ant1989
    To see if your EGR valve is blocked remove your oil filler cap & listen for a 'pop' of pressure being released. I had the problem & it seemed to come on all of a sudden & perhaps the oil change is coincidental.
    John C.

3. Ant1984

Ant1984 New Member

Thanks,should the car be running or not when I remove the cap.?

It actually seems to have settled down a bit I don't know if I might have slightly overfilled it, it was maybe 1mm over the max mark. I've done that with a lot of cars with no consequence, are the tdis very sensitive to overfilling?