2.5 TDi Cam Timing Woes

nedge2k

Reaction score
So, before I put the heads on, I set cyl 3 (needle lift injector cylinder) to tdc by eye, then put the crank pin in. So far so good.

Before each head went on, I checked the plates would go in each cam.

Heads on, pulleys loose, everything locked, tension belt, torque pulley bolts, remove locks, turn engine over by hand a few times...all good.

However, I forgot to put sealant under the front bearing caps. ********.

Everything back off (not the heads), everything back on again. Turn over by hand, engine locks. Same method as before, how can that be?

I've now had the belt off and on again about 6 times - engine always locks up.

Each head will rotate freely when pistons are down in the bores.

The engine will rotate freely when all valves are closed.

WTF is going on!?

I don't have a DTI nor a bore scope and I don't really want to take the heads back off.

Anyone got any ideas? This is driving me nuts!!

Reactions: Diesel25C5
Crank pin when in should stop any movement fwd or back. If it allows any movement it's wrong. Vac pump drive also has two ways to fit only 1 right. About all I can offer.

Yeah it does. Not put the vac pump on yet but cheers for the heads up!

Right, sorted.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever but even knowing it now, I would never had though to check..

Had a friend who builds race engines come round and have a look. It was not valve to piston contact...

I left the bolts for the IP pulley in the cam pulley so as not to lose them. The first time I put the pulley on, they were screwed quite far out and everything was fine. I must have screwed them further in without realising as every time after that, they were fouling on the rear belt guard bolt.

Considering something almost identical is what started this, the irony is not lost on me! Doh!

Amazing what a fresh pair of experienced eyes can see. Been banging my head against a wall on this for a while now. He had it sorted in 15mins :p

Hope this saves someone else from despair!

Last edited:
Check head bolts not catching on cams, head bolds on head are 159mm the ones with the thicker heads will catch