1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 TDi Buying advice

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by gc48067, May 16, 2010.

1. gc48067

gc48067 Member

[May 16, 2010]
    Haven't been on the forum for some time - used to have an A4 1.8T - loved the car but ended up selling and moving on. Now looking to buy another Audi, I have a budget up to £6,000 and was looking for a 2.5TDi, ideally an automatic Avant.

I've seen a mixture for sale around this money so think I can get a 2003 if I search around. Is there anything that you guys would advise me to be looking for? Am I better holding out for a Quattro? Do the 155 or 163 BHP (think I have that right) models vary significantly?

I'm looking for something that will be reliable that I can keep till it falls over and I think the 2.5 TDi would do that job if I can buy one that has done say under 80k.

Would really appreciate any advice you guys may have to offer.
  2. Mudplugger

Mudplugger Member

[May 17, 2010]
    I think you'll find that the power options are 163bhp (all manual) or 180bhp (manual & tip) but I may be wrong.

If you're buying a 2003 or later be sure to get one with a BAU engine code if 180bhp; you only have to look around this forum to see the tales of woe from folk with AKE engines to realise why.
  3. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

[May 17, 2010]
    My 180bhp AKE has done 176k so far and pulling strong (touches wood and listens for rocker arms falling off:rolleyes:)
    multichronic gearbox is the bigger prob on these so only get a quattro with tiptronic if you must have auto.
    Under 80k is a nice idea but more important is lots and lots of regular oil changes - none of this 20k long service **** (designed to keep fleet managers happy)
  4. willieigs

willieigs Member

[May 17, 2010]
    get looking for the 2.5 tdi quattro plenty of grunt and in the snow well never been stuck even been going down hill round the devil elbow in scotland with 4 heavy bodies and a trailer totaly full of diveing equipment on ice
    well i was s-----self but old smoker just took it in is stride
    and 5 year and still smokeing along
  5. gc48067

gc48067 Member

[May 18, 2010]
    Thanks - appreciate the advice. Might also look at an A4 2.5 TDi, depends what comes up.

Definately want a Quattro - had an A4 Quattro before and loved it!