1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 TDi buying advice.

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by JB33, May 31, 2009.

1. JB33

JB33 New Member

[May 31, 2009]
    Hi all. Looking at buying a 2.5 TDi. I been to look at a 1999 A4 SE on a T with 103000 miles on it. When I looked underneath the car I noticed there was oil on the plastic guard under the engine sump. I have since read that the early V6's can suffer from oil leaks. Could you please advise me what to look for & where? Also, is there anything else I should look for on this model?

Many thanks John.
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 31, 2009]
    I was put off the 2.5 TDi because the rotary pumps are a known weak point, and if it fails its a very expensive fix.

Other cars using the same bosch pump like the BMW M51 suffer the same issues.

Personally i'd try an go for a 1.9TDi Quattro, and if you can get it go for the PD version (although PD engined B5's are rare)

At least with the 1.9 your not looking at a huge bill when it fails, they are quite tunable, and with the quattro your getting better grip and the sports suspension and interior which is worth it imo.
  3. JB33

JB33 New Member

[May 31, 2009]
    Do 2.5's often give huge garage bills?
    Anyone else got any tips?
    Thank you, again. John.
  4. dieselfitter251

dieselfitter251 Blow ma own trumpet?

[Jun 1, 2009]
    No probs with my 1.9tdi engine but that's a different lump entirely! Check out the diesel forum...
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 1, 2009]
    They dont often, but the injector pump does seem to be a sticking point across a lot of 6 cyl engines with rotary bosch VE pumps. If it dies, your talking over a grand to replace it.

Its a shame becuase otherwise they're a solid engine, its just a bit of a chance your taking that the one you buy will be a goodun