1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 TDI BATTERY RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by ADC74, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Firstly, happy new year everyone :thumbsup:

Basically I'm in need of a new battery & was just looking for any recommendations regarding product / price etc.
    Currently looking at a 'Bosch S4' which is available through 'Europarts' for £70 inc discount.

What have you got ?
    What did you pay ?
    Are you happy with your purchase ?

Any advice welcome, thanks.
  2. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

The bosch s4 are ok, nothing out of the ordinary but you still get 4 years warranty so make sure you keep the receipt ! Old batteries used to last 8 years + so it's funny how later/modern technology cannot better that !
  3. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I just bought a battery for my 1.9tdi (original battery lasted over 6 years). I went for the bosch s5. Seems to do the job well

got it from here because they were the cheapest: http://www.carbatteriesonline.co.uk/

S
    ervice was good from them too.
  4. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

My question would be - does my car need the extra power provided by the s5 ?
    Does the cca actually make a difference ?
  5. mikeh126

mikeh126 Member

6. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I have the auto lights and coming/leaving home functions which I always keep on so there's always a bit more load on the battery on start up. Saying that the oem battery was fine but I wanted the 5 year warranty for piece of mind as I'm planning on keeping the car for a while. The glow plug warm up time seemed to be shorter too but I don't know if this is the placebo effect?
  7. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

8. spartacus68

spartacus68 Member

Let us know how you get on. Meant to be a complete PITA to fit (if current plugs are original and seized). Out of interest... what's your mileage?
  9. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

10. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

Spray some wd40 on the plugs and leave them for a little while before you take them out. Last thing you want is them snapping in there...
  11. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Well I managed to fit the new battery before I got called into work earlier today so I haven't got around to fitting the new glow plugs as yet. Got to be the most time consuming battery I have ever fitted to any car due to location & access.

On the plus side, I finally got around to removing both gromits within the chamber. The one under the battery was half in / half out with serious amount of crud & debris to be removed. The other, under the brake servo, was still in situ - along with the usual **** & a little water in the surrounding area. Both gromits now removed so happy days :arco:

I knew the old unit was on it's last legs but now the turnover / fire is instant, so I might wait for the next really cold morning before I rush to fit the new glowies. I won't get an opportunity to fit them now before next Thursday anyway so I will update this thread within the week :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. spartacus68

spartacus68 Member

As alpesh26 suggested - spray them with WD40 or Duck Oil penetrating release a couple of days before doing the job. Someone on another forum also told me to get the car to operating temperature before pulling them. [​IMG]
  13. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

iv not changed my one in the 5 years of owning it, all seems well, so i cant say, all i can say is get a big one!
  14. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Right then, as advised, just applied a good lick of WD-40 to the original glow plugs prior to their ( attempted ) removal tomorrow.
    My next post will either be :arco:........or :crying:

Fortune favours the brave !!!
  15. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Be firm but gentle. If you're using a half inch socket set just be aware of the amount of torque you're transmitting through it.

After 100k plus miles all 6 of mine came out with no issues. But yes, I was bricking it!

Good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  16. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

:salute:
  17. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Pleased to report that all went well :happy:

Only issue I had was that I couldn't find a 3/8 elbow socket, which was needed to remove the first & last plug on the right bank. Popped out to grab one & finished the job. My only concern is that the leads are a much tighter fit onto the new glow plugs, you could actually feel them pop into place with the old plugs. Even after pushing hard I still didn't feel any pop connection :think: time will tell I guess.

Here is a piccy of the old vs new plug, not the best I know but it's good for a comparison - the difference in length is due to the phone angle :thumbsup:

[​IMG]
  18. quattrojames

Nice one, although I can't see the pic...?
  19. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Ooops........try again :blink:

The cold temperature was right on cue this morning :cold: 0.5 on the dash & she started like a dream - turned over with virtually instant fire & no more plumes of smoke. Same again when leaving work, -1.5 on the dash, totally transformed the old girl.
    To say I'm happy would be an understatement :yahoo:

[​IMG]
  20. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

Why when I'm adding photos do they seem to disappear after 24 hrs :think:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  21. quattrojames

How are you hosting them?

I've not seen anoy of the pictures you've posted in this thread!
  22. ADC74

ADC74 Master Baker

I'm copying the 'URL' from the image then pasting it into the box within the images link......if that makes sense.