2.5 Diesel Vs 1.8T

bobski

Reaction score
I've currently got a MK4 Golf 1.8T (Standard 150BHP) and I am wanting to trade it in for a diesel model of some sort, so to make for a better MPG figure, due to increased demands on my mileage.

One of the cars I am looking at is the A4 2.5 Diesel.

Firstly, will I notice a significant increase in MPG, and how do the two cars compare in terms of power and speed, etc? I know they are roughly the same BHP, but is one still noticeably faster or better than the other?

I presume, as with all diesels, that the acceleration of the diesel is better from a stand still, due to the torgue increase, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

For me the diesels "feel" faster and thats because you tend to get a great big surge of power (torque you rightly say) - the downside is that this doesn't last very long (limited revs) until it's time to change up - the 6-speed is a big help. The petrols tend to have a smoother delivery and of course rev higher (where all their power is)

However on paper they appear very close - for example the 2.0TDi is all but the same as the 2,0FSi yet the feelings are quite different and require different driving styles.

It does put a bit of a grin on your face mind and this being my first ever oil-burner and averaging 47mpg in my first year, It'd take a lot to take me back to petrol...something beginning with "S" or "R" maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had an A6 2.5 V6 TDi 150Bhp, and with a dragon tuning module approx 175Bhp.
Other half has a 130BHp golf gt tdi.

Mine was alot quicker than her diesel (albeit yours is a petrol model) But even againts other cars my A6 gave them a run for their money and most thought i was in a 2.4 quattro!
MPG was a good return of 49. And the acceleration from 65/70mph upto 100 was incredible!
Bearing in mind this was an A6 which is a heavier car than the A4.....
So, standard 2.5 A4 will be good performance, but if you can get the 2.5 quattro (180Bhp) it will be very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also find the golf handles really poorly! alot of bodyroll when corning hard....where as in the audi, very stable and trusting at pushing it hard....you feel safe! Girlfriend says the same with handling differences. she prefers my A6...but now she loves my S4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

P.S.
if you do get a 2.5 Tdi and you want a tuning module or induction kit...PM me as i'm selling mine from my A6

I have had a Golf 1.8T and an A4 2.5tdi. Trust me you will love the tdi, lots more fun and grip if you find a quattro. I got about 25 mpg in the Golf and about 32 mpg in the A4, although if you are more gentle you can get more......

Cool...seems like a good switch then?

Have been looking about on the web but can't seem to find many A4 2.5's???

I'm looking to cash in on my car a little, so if I can sell it for about £6.5k (it has loads mileage, lots of extras and a recent respray), I'd be looking to try and pick up a fairly decent A4 for between £5k and £6k. Am I being realistic?

Cool, will have to keep looking over the next few weeks whilst I try and sell my car.

Cheers.

Get a 2.5TDI V6

Excellent performance for the MPG, and sounds good for a Diesel too!

If the mileage is high then don't worry too much altho a couple of valves get blocked due to soot, the 1.8T feels too delicate to me i'd prolly kill it within a couple of weeks

a863c6ea.jpg

A decent 2.5 V6 Quattro is very hard to find...my other half is looking for one, but she is being too specific with the colour! Brilliant red only!

Narrowly missed out on a 03 plate A4 Quattro for 16k with 30k miles on clock!!!

She will keep looking and wait patiently.....yet she is NEVER patient with ME!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I'm just hoping I can find a decent example for between £5k and £6k, as I really do need to make a bit on the sale of my car.

I know that I will only probably get a fairly old model with high mileage for that price range, but as long as the car is in decent condition, it should be good for me as a decent run around, etc.

I take I would be able to find a 1.9TDi a lot easier for the money? How would they compare to my current 1.8T?

There are many more 1.9's kicking around you might find.

For £6k you'll probably be able to get a 6 or 7 year old car with less than 65k miles. If you want the quattro version then you may find it more difficult to find (pity this wasn't 2 months ago as I would have still had my 1.9tdi quattro, it was a '97 P with 72k and FSH).

You don't need me to tell you though that don't go buying the first one you see (been there done that!).

Performance-wise you would notice a difference, especially if you got an older, non-PD engined A4 and also because the diesel will be heavier.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my 1.9 and only got a 2.5 coz I came into some money.

I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

love my 2.5 tdi.
its a chipped 150 bhp one, running 180 bhp (ish) but the torque is amazing, 6th gear acceleration is silly) get mid to high 40's on a run and around 32-36 around town.
not bad for a heavy car thats fairly quick.
mine has done 149k and is still running very well, no problems with the engine at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:)

torque is my favourite thing with it.