1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 163 or 2.5 180

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by SteveTDCi, Jun 19, 2007.

1. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

As above, if I knew what I want it would help but ..... out of the 2 above when fitted with an auto box is the 180quattro a standard 5 speed auto and the 163 a multitronic ? the reason I ask is that there are a lot more 163's about than the quattros, and looking at the figures the 163 is quicker even if it will lack utimate wet weather grip. Any advice is welcome :)
  2. golf

golf ***** rent boy

Get the 180 every time, supreme torque and overtaking ability. When remapped it will fly and also leave trailing cars under a cloud of black smoke.
  3. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

Isn't the 180 a quattro? I don't think it's possible to have multitronic and quattro. Mines a 5 speed auto tiptronic.
  4. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I know the 180 quattro is 5 speed tiptronic, but think the 163 might be the multitronic ? also the 180 quattro is rare and the 163 chips to the same power figure but with a little less torque.
  5. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

180 quattro sport every time.

You can aslo get this with a six speed manual, well you can with the A6 anyway.

must admit though there arnt many about

Simon
  6. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I want to be lazy and go for the auto
  7. golf

golf ***** rent boy

:no: You're not American, don't get an auto. It takes the fun right out of driving.
  8. arthurfuxake

Yeah, I'd just love to spend 2 hours a day with my foot welded to a clutch pedal because the traffic is stop start. I'd have a left leg the size of the Hulks by now. 10 years ago I'd never have considered an auto, but the congestion makes it a no brainer now.

I love my auto, D for my commute in and out of town, S for the odd occasion when the road opens for a few seconds, and then tiptronic for the weekends when I hit the twisties:icon_thumright: .

Are you after quattro? If not, go for the 163. It's lighter and you'll get better mpg, and I don't think there's much in it performance wise when you factor in the weight of quattro.
  9. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I like the sound of the quattro but the 163 is easier to find and will remap to a similar level. Your right about the auto though, that is exactly the reason why I want one. I spend 1/2 in traffic every morning and my GOlf as much as I like it is giving me a bad leg, and for some perverse reason I like ralgex :)
  10. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

Does the multifunction steerring wheel give you paddles/buttons to change gear ?
  11. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

I have a well specc'd Audi A4 Avant 2.5 Tdi Quattro Sport (18" RS6's) , with 6 speed manual gear box. Although it does not have the handling or grin factor of a 330 Coupe BMW it seems a safe and a reasonable quality car.

As mine is a 180 BHP car, whats the effect if I get it chipped - i.e. what sort of power output can be expected, will it stress the engine, whats it do to the fuel economy (not that I am overly bothered about that) and what about car insurance issues. Someone in this message forum also mentioned "black smoke" does chipping cause a shed load of black smoke when you boot it ? Will Audi dealers do the chipping ?

Some feedback from those in the know with regard to chipping would be appreciated.....
  12. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I think superchips quote around 199bhp and a big improvement in torque for the 180, yes its worth doing it makes ( well my Golf) much nicer to drive. MPG will improve if you drve sensibly, rag it and it will drop. Engine wear is likely to happen quicker but again, keep it serviced and look after it and you will still get 150k out of it. Audi won't do it, if you ask them they are likely to send you down the local chippy !

Oh and you might get more smoke but superchips will tweek the map if its a problem, besides the smoke is behind you so shouldn't be a problem !
  13. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

James Bond's car makes smoke to escape the bad guys, if its good enough for him...........................besides, the smoke will only happen when you boot it big time anyway as with all diesels so its not like your gonna gas a granny in Tesco's car park doing a well executed reverse parking manoeuvre!!
  14. Macduff

Macduff Member

Be careful about chipping the Multitronic car. They're not the most robust gearboxes and the extra torque may significantly shorten its life.
  15. arthurfuxake

You are right, that's why they don't do the multitronic for the 180bhp.

But don't let that put you off. I'd be willing to bet that a 163 fwd is a good match for the 180 quattro performance wise. The extra weight of the quattro eats into that 17 bhp.
  16. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I take it the 163 is definatly a multitronic then, would the multitronic and regular oil changes prolong its life ? I've found a 180 quattro with leather and 18's for £17000 its an 04 plate but seems expensive, on the other hand i've found a nice 163 on a 54 plate for £15000 it has leather but I don't think its heated.
  17. arthurfuxake

Blimey, for £17k you can have mine!
  18. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

Audi dealers want to much money ! the best car I have found so far is a 2.0 Auto, its listed at 2 different dealers 50 miles apart both with the same reg .... either the dealers know each other or someone has been busy, one wants £14995 the other £16995 !
  19. Macduff

Macduff Member

Multitronic isn't compatible with Quattro. Nothing to do with the 2.5 having 180bhp

You're probably right about the performance though. Although I'd rather have Quattro as our FWD 1.9 130 struggles at times so I imagine the FWD 2.5 would be worse.
  20. arthurfuxake

What does your 130 struggle with? Do you mean it's underpowered, or do you struggle with excessive wheelspin?

Don't forget that the 2.5 lump is a fair bit heavier than the 1.9, so it suffers with wheelspin a lot less.

I also think it'll be pretty tough getting a mulitronic to wheelspin.
  21. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

Superchips have said both version map well and they haven't been notified of any issues.
  22. Macduff

Macduff Member

Struggles for grip on quick getaways in damp conditions and eats front tyres. Wish I'd gone for Quattro as I've driven a 2.0TDI 170 Quattro and it just felt much more secure even in the dry.