2.0TFSI - Pickup pipe change interval

wuta3

Reaction score
Having encountered the dreaded oil-pressure issue and survived, i'm always twitchy about it rearing its ugly face again. What milage would people recommend replacing the pickup pipe again? Considering it is only £30 in parts, i'd rather be safe than sorry. (driving style, short runs, lots of hills/engine load, "spirited" driving ;) )

Thanks guys!

Really on an A3, didn't know these had the issue, interesting, can you expand.

Reg oil changes at about 6k should keep it at bay...

As above, the pickup is the symptom not the problem. "Longlife" servicing is a terrible concept.

Really on an A3, didn't know these had the issue, interesting, can you expand.

Really Nigel?

Basically, low oil pressure dash warning, no fault codes. Drive it and engine goes pop (obviously) due to the pickup pipe mesh getting blocked full of engine gunk. When it happened 6 months ago (threads on here about it) everyone reported it was a very common issue and I should ensure the garage examine it. Sure enough, blocked pickup pipe £20 quid part saved the engine.

So, 6 months on, I have no idea how frequently this can occur, all I know is on the 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines it is a common issue.

Reg oil changes at about 6k should keep it at bay...

Cheers. About due one then. Though I was under the impression that it was crap buildup in the sump that caused it and an oil change doesn't do all that much (read about it on here and various VW/Audi forums). Many were scrubbing the sump out and refitting it every so often.

Yeah I always thought this was only A4 associated, good to know, thanks.

Yeah I always thought this was only A4 associated, good to know, thanks.

Yea lots of horror stories about of people taking their A3 (2.0TFSI) to Audi due to oil pressure warning ... audi sending the car back because "there were no fault codes" ... then bang. I read that it was a PITA for 1.8 owners too but much worse in 2.0

No mention of this from Audi at the last service but my indie was telling me about this when I had my cambelt changed. How many hours of labour am I looking at? Thanks

yeah im changing mine on friday this week the long life servicing is pretty bad concept as other said... i change my oil every 3000K miles which helps but its better to be safer then sorry i treat it like the cam belt to be honest 20-30 pounds is better then a entire engine build

It plagued the 1.8T engines in the 8L and MK4 Golf. I know of several people who's engines have gone bang as a result :(

think its about an hours or so work. Its a sump off job

good quality oil and regular changes should keep it clear, you can never be too sure how well a car has been maintained by previous owner.

a little side note, a lot of them i've fitted (mainly 1.8T) have had the sump off at some point - you can tell as they've used too much sealer to refit the sump and it's clogged the gauze on the pick up pipe. so don't put too much gasket sealer on the sump when refitting.