2.0tfsi Engine issue!

Wild-Bill

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive got a 2006 2.0tfsi A4 S line Quattro, absolutely love the car had it a year and never had a problem, UNTIL now. When I get to 4500rpm I get whats like the sound of hitting a rev limiter. But I can still rev through to max but not got the power it had. After revving to this "limiter noise" I then get a strong resonance/vibration through the exhaust and is a lot louder then normal inside the car and a rougher than normal idle. If I then rev back upto the 4500rpm range the limiter noise is still there but the exhaust note is then back to normal. Any ideas?? possible cat issue? PCV valve has been already replaced last week. Need to get this sorted, its busting my nuts not knowing what it is!! Cheers Guys

Hi Wild-Bill,
I'd take a quick small vid snippet, as you can tell a lot more by that. not that your description is bad just a lot of things it could be!

Biddyy..

Thanks for the reply Biddy I will try this in the morning (don't want to annoy the neighbours with 4500rpm noise haha) ! Can I just pluck your brain for some ideas of some of the possible causes?

Well it could be a big list, but i'd take it easy till you "crack it" hoping thats not a pun...

1st if it's effecting performance i take it you have no error light? Still it's worth having a scan on the error codes as lots of errors can be recorded but not flagged as a light to make you stop.

so possibles it's say HPFP cam follower (constant tapping at certain revs), Aux/fan belt tensioner (but this just makes noise no performance issues), Cam Chain tensioner (rattles/light slapping).

although i've heard nasty noises by a cracked turbo/exhaust manifold too but not common.

More details are on here if you search for all of the above in bold.

GL

Biddyy.

Ah yea sorry I forgot to mention there were no codes when I checked last, ( a week ago) I will be checking the codes tomorrow. Ive been reading about this HPFP but always seem to be in USA? I think there was a TPI at Audi but wasn't for my engine code, which is BWE. Having said that we all know that things aren't always limited to one engine code! Have you seen many that have worn through? Ideally I would like to see a nice shiny fault in the engine memory tomorrow so at least it points me the right way. Id be expecting a low fuel pressure fault for the HPFP? Any issues with the air mas meters? The kicker is the change in exhaust resonance/vibration.

if you have VCDS you could log the fuel pressure called for and actual metered, you might see a big drop off at 4500 if thats the case.. also log boost pressure that could be a DV letting go at 4500 but highest boost is about 2200/2500 if std that's normally where they give up.