2.0TDI starting issues

russell.crumley.5

Reaction score
My 2006 2.0tdi wouldn't start earlier. As the engine was turning it would flash up brakes!

5690df16fb5b8aad4e09bd570a60c852.jpg

Went in to the house to call a mate and ask him, he asked me to check brake fluid. (Which was at the top line)

Went back to car and it started first turn of the key!

Any ideas folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless there is a wiring issue affecting a braking system circuit and a starting-critical circuit, I don't think this will be related to the non-start issue. However, one should never assume.
If you can pull codes from the engine (and ABS module while your at it) that would be ideal. Post codes here. Good luck.

Reactions: russell.crumley.5
It's getting a quick diagnostic check tomorrow so I'll post up codes when I get them

Thanks for the speedy reply

Ok fault code is

01314 ECM no signal / no communication intermittent

Any ideas help folks

1) Cold weather, 2) issue shows up at starting, 3) the code is a vague ECM/no communication one. My guess is the battery is on the "way out". On modern cars with a failing battery ECM control does strange things like cutting power to ancillary functions to preserve basic starting/running. Suggest checking the battery

If it's not the battery, I'd check under the ecu, which is on the drivers side under the bonnet next to the wipers in a black plastic box. You'll need a hex bit set to remove - bit of a pain to open.
Make sure there isn't a big puddle of water in the bottom covering the relays (which includes the glow plug relay). Don't just look in, look under the ecu as the puddle is not in view unless you remove it.
Hope that helps