2.0TDi service due - what oil??

Irish EK

Reaction score
my 2005 A4 2.0tdi is due a service at the end of the month. its the 140bhp version, but i have had it mapped to 170bhp. there is 78k miles on it. burns about a litre of oil between services (12months / 10k miles) and had the oil pump replacement done last june.

the garage i have used for the last 3 years use semi synthetic 10W 40, where i think 5W 30 is recommended. i havent had any problems with the oil they use, but am wondering if there is something better? what would you recommend?

anyone recommend what to use? if 10W 40 semi isnt recommended for it, i dont want to use it anymore!

Reactions: b14ryk
10w40 semi oil is way out of date in as above said 5w30 with 507.00 Fully Synthetic. if your not sure if its the right oil look on the back of the bottle it will say what grades the oil is. also I would get the EGR remapped out as your remapping it anyway.

so been to a few motor factors and with a bit of googling im going to go for Castrol Edge 5W 30. meets VW 507.00. just wondering will this be alright? i think its a long life oil but i change mine every 10K, also dont have a DPF. wont do any harm will it?

That stuff is fine. I change my oil aprox every 6k and I use car lube Vw grade

Last edited:
Does Castrol Edge 5W-30 come in both fully synthetic and semi-synthetic versions? Reason i'm asking until last year my car was on the variable service schedule (insane i know) and my local audi stealer always gave me a fully synthetic bottle of castrol edge (think it was 5w-30). But ever since i switched to the fixed 10k/12 months service schedule, the dealer now gives me a bottle of semi-synthetic castrol edge 5w-30.