2.0TDI Sachs Performance Upgraded Clutch

A_C4mby

Reaction score
Again, I thought I'd let everyone know in case they wanted to do the same mod.

I've got my car back on the road having fitted a new dmf and sachs performance clutch.

The feel of the clutch is virtually identical to the standard clutch (as far as I can remember).

The clutch bite point seems to be a little bit more repeatable/reliable. I used to get caught out when jumping from one car to another and acidentally stalling due to poor clutch control or unsmooth gearcahnges. I think the sprung plate and sprung flywheel was providing too much compliance, where as the solid friction plate and the sprung flywheel gives me a better feel.

Hopefully now when I go for more umph my clutch will hold up!

And to let you know, I don't think I'd ever change the clutch again by myself and without a ramp etc. The gearbox is one heavy son of a b*?ch.

I'm on the vurge of getting my Clutch & Flywheel changed but wasn't sure whether to get a performance Sachs or not.

Is there a big price difference? How much did it set you back?

I got a flywheel, upgraded pressure plate, upgrade friction plate and release bearing from Amd. I think it was about £850 all in.

I wasn't sure where else to get them. But I got a quote from VW for a flywheel £487. And if you go onto sachs website the parts are more expensive on there than Amd charged.

I think Amd have a special offer on fitting these at the minute £100?

If you're going to change the clutch definately go for the upgraded version, as I said, I prefer it to the standard one.

£850 all in isn't bad at all!

It's just that I don't want it to be a case where the uprated clutch will end up feeling worse in the long run compared to the standard clutch but from what you've said, it seems it ain't bad!

I do miss the feeling of torque. My flywheel is getting worse and worse. The torque has just dissapeared =(

To be honest though, i've had bad things from AmD but i'll look into it.

Many thanks!

Lots of companies sale the Sachs and Helix clutch upgrade like AwesomeGTI etc. The feel of a standard uprated clutch from Sachs and Helix with the organic drive disc will feel basically the same both on clutch peddle pressure and bite wise as a stock item.