2.0tdi quattro s line

davieb3

Reaction score
Hello

been looking at changing my current car Golf gti Edition 30, due to new job and extra mileage each week

I've been looking around for 2007/8/9 3 door sline quattro with mileage below 20K, will be looking to keep this car for few years, so think Audi would be a safe bet for a solid reliable vechicle

But there seems to be a very limited supply of this model? quattros diesels in general

Was this model not popular or is maybe the recent weather a cause for limited choice?

can i expect 45mpg from this model, currenly averaging 29mpg in my golf?

thanks alot

I had one as a hire car whilst my TDi sline Black ed went in for a new gearbox, I struggled to get 50mpg at its best, and I can pussy foot with the best of them.

kevin

I have the 5 door 2.0 TDI Quattro CR, and struggle to get above 35 mpg, even during motoryway driving.

Most people are not willing to pay the extra for the quattro system plus you will get slightly less mpg on a quattro and feel slightly slower then a FWD car as there is more bhp lost through the transmission. I still get about 35mpg at 80mph with my modded car on motorways and if you drive on country roads etc where it gets slippery you will soon get to love the 4WD system.

thanks for the replies and info uys

I was hoping for more MPG than that from a diesel, i'm looking for car with good MPG with ever increasing fuel prices and the sure footed ness of 4wd - so have a limited choice really

Maybe i should forget the MPG and just get an S3

Just bought the 2.0tdi 170 Quattro sport S Line.......took some finding!!

They are hard to come by. Best I've seen so far is an average of about 35mpg!! Fun though!

My 140 S-Line BE, in the summer has done 65mpg at about 60mph, just docile and meandering along, if I do a steady 70mph she will return 55+mpg all day long, I normally do about 2k miles/month or so, and most of it is motorway use, around town it drops to about 35mpg when cold, and about 40ish when warmed up.
Its all about rolling the throttle, braking early and anticipation if you want mpg........

And yes I have given mine a healthy does of clean out, and the mpg went to about 10........and the radiator fans didn't stop for about 30 mins after......

k

Just for comparison:

The long-term average MPG for my 2.0T Quattro is 29.2, with a mix of around town and longer trips. I usually get 35mpg from a motorway run with a little restraint, but it's usually under 25mpg around town.

IMO the quattro system in the A3 impacts on fuel economy more on the TDI than the petrols.

Had my Tdi Q s line from new Oct 96, over this time ave mpg of 38.3, car has completed 34k miles.

On longer journeys you can ave over 44 mpg but this will be the max.

Selling in April as have a new one ordered.

Had my Tdi Q s line from new Oct 96, over this time ave mpg of 38.3, car has completed 34k miles.

On longer journeys you can ave over 44 mpg but this will be the max.

Selling in April as have a new one ordered.
Do you not mean oct '06? 1996 is about 10 years before it came out!
Reading people's MPG averages in their 170 TDI quattros I am quite surprised they can only average about 35 mpg, this is pretty poor even with added 4wd, esp a haldex system that has much less drag.
I think BMW are streets ahead with their diesels when it comes to economy and performance.

On my old Bora PD115 with remap and afew other mods I could over 600 miles from a 55 L tank!
On two occasions I actually got over 70 mpg! 71.1 mpg was my best, was well chuffed.
On the same run my 20TFSI will peak 38.5 if I really try, thats 40 mph ave speed cameras to 55 mpph dual carriageway.
my overall ave is over 30mpg incl. town driving, I think youd be better getting a 2.0T quattro and save about 2.5- 3k on purchase price and youd also have a lot more to choose from.

Last edited:
i'm going to buy 4wd car next, previous cars ive kept the longest 4years+ are impreza turbo and R32 and my next buy needs to be a keeper

I enjoyed the assurance that 4wd gives in the Bad weather, my current car was pretty hopeless in the recent bad weather(snow)

maybe the petrol quattro is the way forward with more choice, although i was hoping for better mpg from the 170 diesel, after looking at a TT coupe tdi (pre house purchase) and they seemed to be giving owners 40+ mpg with same engine as A3

PD140 engines gave fairly good mpg which was replaced with the PD170 but the PD170 was not a good engine and gave low mpg that made it not worth buying it really over a petrol car. VAG have replaced the PD engine with a common rail engine ( same as BMW ) which gives better mpg but BMW do definitely produce the best diesel engines on the market at the moment. There is a new twin turbo VAG diesel engine due to be released soon but there isn`t much info as to which makes and models will have that engine.

Had my 170 tdi quattro s-line just over a year now, best i've had is 44, but average is only about 33-34 mpg. Its know where near what i had hoped for,and i'm a very steady driver, but its an awesome diesel
Do you not mean oct '06? 1996 is about 10 years before it came out!
Reading people's MPG averages in their 170 TDI quattros I am quite surprised they can only average about 35 mpg, this is pretty poor even with added 4wd, esp a haldex system that has much less drag.
I think BMW are streets ahead with their diesels when it comes to economy and performance.

On my old Bora PD115 with remap and afew other mods I could over 600 miles from a 55 L tank!
On two occasions I actually got over 70 mpg! 71.1 mpg was my best, was well chuffed.
On the same run my 20TFSI will peak 38.5 if I really try, thats 40 mph ave speed cameras to 55 mpph dual carriageway.
my overall ave is over 30mpg incl. town driving, I think youd be better getting a 2.0T quattro and save about 2.5- 3k on purchase price and youd also have a lot more to choose from.

There is a new twin turbo VAG diesel engine due to be released soon but there isn`t much info as to which makes and models will have that engine.[/QUOTE]

Is that like the BMW 535d which is twin turbo?? This is absolutely awsome! Nothing is close to it.

Had my 170 tdi quattro s-line just over a year now, best i've had is 44, but average is only about 33-34 mpg. Its know where near what i had hoped for,and i'm a very steady driver, but its an awesome diesel

But isnt the total point of a diesel fuel economy? So I can't see what makes the Pd170 so awesome? VAG really need to get their twin-turbo diesel into production there a bit behind everyone else in that sense,

I was going to have a look at a 56 plate Audi A3 Sportback TDI 170 S-line quattro which has turned up near my location (which is unusual, there's sod all here normally) but I'm concerned about the mpg figures being posted here. I currently have a Seat Toledo TDI Sport 150 (the 150 bhp VAG TDI PD engine) which I enjoy driving, it's reasonably nippy and the fuel economy is surprisingly good even when it's not being driven that gently. I have a pup now and the Toledo saloon just isn't suitable so I've been trying to find the closest estate, after looking round a few cars I really liked the idea of the Sportback with its mini-estate design which looks ideal for the dog plus I've fancied four wheel drive for a while as the Toledo does struggle at times getting the power down through its front wheels.

I am concerned about the mpg figures here, does anyone have real world comparison for any of the TDI 170 2WD cars (CR or PD from any of the similar sized cars)?

Thanks,
John