1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0TDi Oil burner

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by imported_shaudy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. imported_shaudy

imported_shaudy Guest

[Aug 31, 2004]
    Hi, my first post on here so I’ll start off by saying hello to everyone!

OK, how often do you TDi owners top up the oil in your engines?

I’ve got a 2.0TDi Sport, it was new in April and has done about 4500 miles… when I got the car, I had the longer service interval upgrade done by Audi to the car so that it doesn’t require a service for 30,000 miles – I guess a higher quality engine oil is used for this. Anyway today on the motorway the oil light came on so I pulled over at the next service station and checked the oil after the car had been stood for 5 minutes and there didn’t seem to be any in. So I stuck in the engine, the 1 litre of oil supplied by Audi when I got the car… I haven’t checked the oil since I got home but I did another 100 miles after this and the light stayed off.

I know diesels burn oil but I didn’t expect to be topping up the oil so soon!

Thanks
    Shaun

just spotted the Diesel forum.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. imported_Audi_DavE

imported_Audi_DavE Guest

[Aug 31, 2004]
    well, diesels are 4stroke engines...they dont burn the oil unlike 2strokes. Basically, it shouldnt be drinking the oil like that tbh. I got a 1.9TDI, its done 120k and i havent topped ANY of the levels up since april when i got it. It may be advisable to take it back to the dealer and moan a little!!!
  4. garethj

garethj Member

[Aug 31, 2004]
    It will use a little oil when it is running in, perfectly normal. Initial oil level was probably a tiny bit low. Keep an eye on it and make sure you use the correct long life oil.
  5. imported_shaudy

imported_shaudy Guest

[Aug 31, 2004]
    Thanks for the replies, I'll pop over to Audi this week and buy another litre of oil and see what they say about it using the oil so quickly. I checked the oil today and its right at the maximum mark. I’ll probably use ¾ of a litre next time then check the level.

I used the oil supplied by Audi when I got the car, so it must be the right stuff.. I didn’t take any notice of what it said on the packaging but the oil is like water, I guess it’s fully synthetic.

Thanks
    Shaun
  6. imported_katetodd

imported_katetodd Guest

[Sep 4, 2004]
    SNAP! same happened to me in my Audi A3. On our way down to Southampton, suddenly the oil light showed up - car done about 6,000 miles, so stopped at next service station and bought a litre of oil. Quite suprised at the need for oil at such a mileage. Until I had read this forum, I had forgotten all about it - so not the only one to experience it. Used to have VW Golf's and never had to top the oil up, only on service intervals! The Audi A3 is superb - won't be going back to VW's even if I have to buy more oil!