[2.0TDI 16V BKD] Oil low message when driving for hours

Rideen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my 2.0 TDI has developed a frustrating issue. When driving for 2hours at motorway speeds, I get minimum oil warning. Checking the oil dipstick shows it really is on minimum.

I turn the car off, let it sit a bit and the warning is gone.

When I let the car sit for 10+ minutes, the oil stick shows the oil is on max.

Any advice?

Daft, I know, but you are reading the dipstick correctly? If your cold level is low, a long drive will pump all the oil around the engine, leaving so little in the sump that it's below the sensor. Ergo the warning. Stop the engine, and the oil drains back down and the sensor's OK with it.

That's my take on it.

Sounds strange & as above maybe possible?

Yep, even took it to mechanic today, it is at max. Very odd issue, seems like the oil doesn't drip back down quickly enough so I get low warning.

Recommend you try an oil flush in there. Obviously new engine oil and filter required post flush.

Tried that earlier, didn't help. :\

What I did is pour the oil tiny bit over the max mark 2 days ago and have gone over 800 miles with no issues in 2 days. Did 2 runs which are around 300 miles each (which means I have been driving for hours at motorway speeds) and the problem seems to be gone.

I was reading about the DPF and how it can use a lot of oil on older high mileage cars, especially on long runs as it needs to clear the soot more often.