2.0T S Line Special Edition 2006, is it worth me doing these modifications?

Took it for a test drive and I'm positive the red has definitely added a few ponies!!!!

Any idea what that is on the back of the arm rest, I got another cable connecting to it so I assume it's powering something inside the arm rest however inside the arm rest there's nothing coming through just empty!
20160827 135835
20160827 135828

You sure there hasn't been anything in it? Could have the mood lighting led in the top part just under he hing!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Cct4
here you go,
wiring harness with led for illumination of storage compartment in centre armrest, part 54 on the diagram.

Last edited:
You sure there hasn't been anything in it? Could have the mood lighting led in the top part just under he hing!

I like that dani, mood lighting..lol if I have it then it will be a bonus as i'm allways in a bad mood these days.....haha
its actually convience lighting, so you were right dani....top marks and goto the head of class now.

Reactions: Dani_B19
yep , its "mood" lighting , turn on the lights and look under the lid hinge, small red led pointing down into the lower section , same as the small red led's in the overhead consoles pointing down onto centre consol etc, new one on me aswell , never new it was there until I just looked for it.

How do you turn it on? It'll be interesting to see if I got it considering I already have the connection! Nice one Dani and thank you Rob for the confirmation.

comes on auto when you turn the lights on, the led is in the end of that cable, which in turns fits into the hinge, so if the cable is there the led will be.

Just checked.... There is a small red light inside the arm rest when the lights are turned on, is that it? Not sure if that's meant to be the ambient light, don't really see any logic to it considering you have to leave the lid of the arm rest opened to see it lit up. Thanks guys any way... Learn something new every day.

As I was checking the lights the car battery went completely flat (car has not been used for almost 2 weeks) tried jump stating it but nothing, waiting on AA now, if it turns out to be a new battery then what is a good one for our cars?

Last edited:
yep that's it, its supposed to illumate the inner armrest to make things easier to see in the dark, its not ambient , more convenience function.

Reactions: Nozrul Islam
Haven't bought a battery for a while but aren't they are bit dear?
Maybe another brand?
:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

flipping expensive to be honest, my avant still has the original fitted , no signs of any loss of performance just yet but I've probably opened up a whole new can of worms by mentioning it....

Yes it is expensive @£100 for the S5 and £78 for the S4 but I am being told that Bosch are the best ones around, since I need one I would've preffered an Optima as I had them before for another car however I don't think they do one for my car plus the fact I need it by tomorrow, going away for few days on Tuesday and just want to be safe than sorry driving with a dodgy battery.

I tell you what - my £1200 modification budget is slowly decreasing covering the cost of unexpected stuff needing doing:sob:

maybe that should have been nearer £2k for mods etc, once you start messing around with them they become a bottomless pit for cash very rapidly..

Reactions: Dani_B19
What about halfords etc?
What area are you in?

if you need it that soon then Halfords is probably the only source, if they have a suitable one in stock that is, ECP are closed until tuesdat now.

Chadwell Heath, Romford. Halfords is nearby but for that battery I think ECP are cheapest with tge current 30% discount...

Not sure what to do, driven the car today for a good few hours and just checked the voltage on the battery which is reading 13+ volts.

Car was not used for almost 2 weeks and drove for a couple miles yesterday then apparently the my girls were sitting inside the car listening to music for about 20 minutes and it was after then when I tried starting it the battery failed so it's possibly my fault - I really don't know what to do because last thing I want is for the battery to fail whilst I am away

Chadwell heath.
Not a million miles from me.
What about GSF at whalebone Lane?
If your away in the car and giving it a good run I reckon it'll be ok.

Chadwell Heath, Romford. Halfords is nearby but for that battery I think ECP are cheapest with tge current 30% discount...

Not sure what to do, driven the car today for a good few hours and just checked the voltage on the battery which is reading 13+ volts.

Car was not used for almost 2 weeks and drove for a couple miles yesterday then apparently the my girls were sitting inside the car listening to music for about 20 minutes and it was after then when I tried starting it the battery failed so it's possibly my fault - I really don't know what to do because last thing I want is for the battery to fail whilst I am away

that's probably why it went flat so quick, if it was stood then and then you only drove it a short way , then you youngsters were listing to stuff in it , you just wer'nt putting enough juice back into it to cover the amount already drained plus the extra current draw.
An older battery can be fine for a longtime, let the car stand for a few weeks and it will start to drain, add that the current used to start it plus running etc and there you go, flatty time, you really need to take it for a good old run for a few hours and put stuff on to draw current out so it can recharge as your driving.

if you only use the car for local drives a few miles for a short time, then your never going to put back whats been drawn out from starting and running it before you park it up again, so after a while its going to be getting lower and lower on charge , then it will just stop all together so you'll need to recharge it fully.

I think I'll take it for another long drive tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks guys.
Dave have you considered where and when you having the remap done, was thinking perhaps both go same place to see if we'd get some form of discount etc.
Rob I take it you've had the remap on yours and where you got it done mate?

yes , mines been remapped, well it was done by the first owner that's a long story, had it remapped a few months ago, didn't really go for any more BHP, but the torque has increased a fair bit and it still drives like a rocket ship when used with shell vpower+ superfandago fuel...

I think I'll take it for another long drive tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks guys.
Dave have you considered where and when you having the remap done, was thinking perhaps both go same place to see if we'd get some form of discount etc.
Rob I take it you've had the remap on yours and where you got it done mate?
Was thinking about AMD.
I'm on holiday soon for 5 weeks so will look to do it when I'm back.

David keep me posted upon your return from holiday and perhaps we both can negotiate a deal with AMD.

Rob, was it just a remap you had done or you had additional extras done?

I took it in for a remap to start with only to find out that it had be mapped already and quite a good one too, now I wasn't 100% sure wether it had been or not been mapped at this point apart from a vague receipt in the service folder and the fact that everyone that had driven commented on how well it went, based on how well it was running it was remapped to gain some extra torque and sort out a small flat spot just over 3k otherwise its pretty unchanged for the first mapping done by the original owner.

David keep me posted upon your return from holiday and perhaps we both can negotiate a deal with AMD.

Rob, was it just a remap you had done or you had additional extras done?
Will do mate.

Imo batteries are best bought online

I use "the battery megastore", v quick delivery and all the makes, Varta, Bosch etc available

And a lot cheaper than halfords and better quality too

Ps how much is a map, roughly?

[QUOTE="Dani_B19,

Regarding the air filter, do what I've done in my thread, seemed to add some form or performance increase but also added a deeper growl to the intake noise.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dani, I've tried looking for the thread to your air filter job but I can't seem to find it, please would you mind posting the link to it, many thanks.

it wont make any difference to the bul engine as its already running an increased ecu map over the standard 2.0T engine, you may get some extra engine induction noise but not much, I got a better ehaust note just by changing to larger and better tips.

performance air filters do work well and you can clean them yourself but don't offer much gains by themselves, combined with other engine mods and it you'll see a bigger improvement overall.

it wont make any difference to the bul engine as its already running an increased ecu map over the standard 2.0T engine, you may get some extra engine induction noise but not much, I got a better ehaust note just by changing to larger and better tips.

performance air filters do work well and you can clean them yourself but don't offer much gains by themselves, combined with other engine mods and it you'll see a bigger improvement overall.
I've got a pipercross in mine and as you say it'll come into its own as it were after a remap

have you checked the cam follower yet, from a few articles I have seen it's been suggested that the BUL used two , one from the earlier engines and a revised one in the later builds, first one is very poor and doesn't last long, revised part is a big improvement.
maybe worth checking for peace of mind.

have you checked the cam follower yet, from a few articles I have seen it's been suggested that the BUL used two , one from the earlier engines and a revised one in the later builds, first one is very poor and doesn't last long, revised part is a big improvement.
maybe worth checking for peace of mind.
Was that meant for me?

Yes it is expensive @£100 for the S5 and £78 for the S4 but I am being told that Bosch are the best ones around, since I need one I would've preffered an Optima as I had them before for another car however I don't think they do one for my car plus the fact I need it by tomorrow, going away for few days on Tuesday and just want to be safe than sorry driving with a dodgy battery.

I tell you what - my £1200 modification budget is slowly decreasing covering the cost of unexpected stuff needing doing:sob:
Whats the situation with your oil pick up pipe in yours?
Do you know if its got the revised part?
Maybe worth the £300 to get it done for piece of mind?

Okay now it's got far too technical for my little brain to absorb...

Rob:
1: Exhaust Tips any pics and links please mate as to where to buy from?
2: Cam Follower - how do i check and is there certain serial numbers that determines 1st release parts

David:
Oil pick up pipe again have't got a clue what it is, please can you advise how I check this?

Owned the car for almost 2 years and believe it or not ( I know I know it's sad) - to my knowledge I have never tested it's capabilities as every time I drive it I have my family with me but today, took it for a spin and boy oh boy is it fast? :sign wow:

Rob:
2: Cam Follower - how do i check and is there certain serial numbers that determines 1st release parts

David:
Oil pick up pipe again have't got a clue what it is, please can you advise how I check this?

Owned the car for almost 2 years and believe it or not ( I know I know it's sad) - to my knowledge I have never tested it's capabilities as every time I drive it I have my family with me but today, took it for a spin and boy oh boy is it fast? :sign wow:
I'm on the exhaust tip mission also, I bought some the other day ( bit of a bodge job) and the inlet was 90mm which is way too big so I've requested a refund.
I've cut off my old ones already so as I can offer up tips to get an idea of what I want.
Theres a shop in Chadwell Heath that stock a wide range, might pop there on Wednesday after work to have a look.

Pick up wise you won't know unless you take off the sump or unless you have paperwork saying its been done.
Nothing to worry about. if you get a low pressure warning then you may need to look at it.

Rob:

David:

Thats why I want to know what BHP mine is putting out, its fast (not fast enough though lol) so of course if I find out its a standard 200 TFSI then of course I'll want the remap more.