2.0T S Line Special Edition 2006, is it worth me doing these modifications?

on the paint front, I was in my local euro bods and they had the E-Tech kits on the shelf and selling for silly cheap money, I wasn't looking to paint mine at that precise moment as i had a big brake kit on the way but the price was too good to turn away just to use for the rears, decided against fitting the brembo's and stuck with the S4 based ones on the car just used the caliper paint.

just make sure you give the calipers darn good clean first, I got my get washer on them first , then used a wire brush to get them nice and clean , then used the brake cleaner in the kit, removed the pad retaining clip aswell, then used 3 coats and helped things alone with a hair dryer, job done and the paint is rock hard now with no sign of it peeling or flaking off anyway even after using a get washer on the to keep them clean.

Thanks Pal, I think I'll give this ago in the next few weeks. I like the "S" decal on yours, looks nice.
Also came across Foliatec paint as well on eBay... Biggest decision is what colour do I go for, wanted red but having seen yours I like black as well or maybe even blue? Now before someone suggests I already thought of it - paint each caliper different colour :tearsofjoy:

yellow, is a good choice, I like red to be honest and since most automotive things in my possession are red then seemed logical to just carry on the color scheme...

Thanks Rob, can't imagine yellow going with my blue car but I'll have a think. Off to Halfords now to check out some trolley Jack set.

Nozrul,

Pound for pound a stage 1 remap is the best modification you can make and does in my opinion, transform the car. Standard clutch will be just fine for stage 1 if in good condition.
I would only ever consider the Milltek exhaust if yours is near the end of its life... but by all means.. go for new tips if you can find.

Loving the black calipers David.

I can echo the remap comment
Revo stage1 has transformed the car into what it should have been from factory

Calipers off and prepared for the 1st coat... I've gone for the Foliatec carbon metallic grey..

Attachments

• 20160820_195550.jpg
    20160820_195550.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
I see you opted for the full paint job then and not the insitu option, nice color choice too, I did also choose a similar color to do my rears calipers a few months back but wanted something a bit brigher on the fronts hence the red route.
good work chap.

Thanks.
Any guesses which one had the 1st coat?? I must be colour blind cause I can't tell much of a difference here!

Attachments

• 20160820_210028.jpg
    20160820_210028.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 168
one the right as you look at them, and you are correct , not much in it color wise, still think you should have gone red to be honest...just my preference...

I always wanted red and even bought the red paint which is still sitting in the car (waiting to be returned) but every car I see on the road has red calipers and seems very common nowadays hence chose not do go with red but you're absolutely right red would've gone nicely with the colour of my car.

nope "common" isn't really the best word , " popular" is better....

Apologies, I meant popular. Just had a look at them now rather please with the colour and glad I went for it but having said that, Her royal highness is saying I should've painted it red as well!
You know what I am thinking.... Got the red paint already so.....

that is a nice color but its very close to the original so you are not really gaining much other than freshened up calipers, whereas going to a very different color will be more of an effect change if you follow my thinking.

Yes mate, thoought about and I think I'll keep it grey for the time being and see how it goes.
As for the red paint... Can I use that in the engine bay? I want to paint the coil pack, coil pack Harness and some parts of the engine cover.
Thanks

Wet sanded the areas to be painted and ready to go...

Attachments

• 20160821_171641.jpg
    20160821_171641.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 149
Reactions: Alpinachris
nice to see your cover still has its rings badge still in place , I've lost two in two year ownership, and a few others have lost there's too...

Pretty sure mine as intact also.
Not bad considering my engine issues.
:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was going to buy another one but just think i'll give it miss for now.

Another special edition?

There does appear to be a fair few coming out of the woodwork recently.

I thought about getting shot of mine when I came across the engine issue but it's not given me any problems in the year I've had it (or not since changing the oil pick up).
It's a full history 79k car and I haven't seen many 2006 models with milage that low.
When I bought it it had new discs all round and the timing belt etc had been done
I'd still like to have a go of a BUL engined one to see if it feels any quicker than mine to see if mine is 200 or 220.

Looks like I bought at the wrong time lol.
Couldn't find many when I bought mine.
That said I only paid £5250 for it and i wasn't looking for a special edition just a 2.0t.
Didn't even know what they were.

well I paid £12.5k in june 2014 for mine.....with only 29k from new ....

Reactions: David Withers
Looks like I bought at the wrong time lol.
Couldn't find many when I bought mine.
That said I only paid £5250 for it and i wasn't looking for a special edition just a 2.0t.
Didn't even know what they were.

David, I thought your one was a special edition?

Can anyone recommend me a good high heat spray paint for the engine cover and ignition coils and the coil harness please?

It is mate but it's had the block and head changed at some point.
The bloke I bought it off denies any knowledge of it happening.
All the stickers and timing covers etc though are the original BUL number that it came with.
It's possible the management system is still from the BUL.

Oh gosh,you must've well vexed when you found that out - sorry to hear that mate.

BTW where did you buy the S line sticker from for the pad retaining clip on your caliper?

Oh gosh,you must've well vexed when you found that out - sorry to hear that mate.

BTW where did you buy the S line sticker from for the pad retaining clip on your caliper?
Ebay mate.
I'll see if the link is still there and post it.

55k here on an 06...£9,990 in January 2015. Special Edition crew!

wd
I thought about getting shot of mine when I came across the engine issue but it's not given me any problems in the year I've had it (or not since changing the oil pick up).
It's a full history 79k car and I haven't seen many 2006 models with milage that low.
When I bought it it had new discs all round and the timing belt etc had been done
I'd still like to have a go of a BUL engined one to see if it feels any quicker than mine to see if mine is 200 or 220.

not only did I not know anything re the "Special Edition" - I don't think the guy I bought it off did either (he was selling on behalf of his recently deceased father, so did not really know too much about the car)

I only realised when I tried to match the stated KW's printed on the sticker at the front of the owners manual with the ones listed at the back of the manual

the sticker (and V5) stated 163KW, and I could not find that poer figure listed in the manual, then nosing about on here I matched the BUL engine code and WUA chassis number with a so called Special Edition

anyway 56 plate and 67K

All ready for the first coat...

Attachments

• 20160824_195311.jpg
    20160824_195311.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 202
Brake calipers done! Thanks for the tips Rob and David, much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160716_131711.jpg
    20160716_131711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Reactions: David Withers
With new front discs fitted after my misfortune of having one disc cracked!

Attachments

• 20160826_194606.jpg
    20160826_194606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
Reactions: Charlie Farley
Thanks Rob. Here's the rest.... Cover came out OK but not great due to the masking tape (frog tape) bleeding but as for the ignition coil and harness cover really please with it and above all saved me £100 because I wanted the R8 red coils and red harness for sake of it being red!
20160821 125450
20160827 103315

Reactions: AU11 ALS and Charlie Farley
that looks great, even looks faster now....come and do mine please.

Reactions: AU11 ALS