2.0T / general B8 queries

Lyons

A6 Allroad / 435D
Reaction score
Folks, Im looking at a B8 with the 2.0T as the next purchase, however Im a bit confused as to the different variations of the engine.

Can anyone tell me what date the newer engine was introduced with start/stop technology? Are there litterally just 2 revisions- 1 with it and 1 without? For a manual, non quattro model am I right in thinking the average consumptions are 44 and 42 respectively?

With regards to the sat nav, did the 40GB HDD come as part of the same unit, or was it a seperate accessory in itself? I've seen a few HDD retro fit kits on ebay, but is it a DIY job? I appreciate its not going to be as straightforward as fitting an RNS-E, but is it easy enough to do or not?

Ill probably think of other questions later, but can add them as they come to me!

Start/stop on 2.0T and 2.0TDI (manual only) came in with the MY2010 cars (i.e. mid/late 2009).
I've a quattro that does a lot of short journeys so my mpg is not a good reference.

The HDD is part of the satnav system. Again this was introduced as an option from the MY2010 cars. It's not exactly a DIY job to retro fit the whole 3G SatNav but it can be done if you want to spend silly money.

Thanks for that. Is there an easy way to tell if the car has start stop or not, other than driving it?!

What sort of mpg figures do you get on a longer run?

Ah, didnt realise it was all part of the sat nav system. I reckoned retro fitting was probably not going to be an option, it would be safer waiting for a car to come along with it installed already.

In the car down by the geat shift is a button to disable the Start/Stop.

It's the top left button A (in a circle) OFF:

Gear_knob.JPG

On decent runs I get 30-35mpg

Satnav retrofit by a pro is (I think) £3-3.5k so I totally agree with you.

However I've got the HDD and don't use it :)

I've got the AMI (Audi Music Interface) and bought an iPod Classic to go in the car. All my music's on it so I don't need to use the HDD.

If I do need something that's not on the iPod then I've got two SDHC slots....or I can put in MP3s on a CD so there's lots of options.

Thats exactly what I was looking for, cheers.

My wife has the HDD in her M6 Golf sat nav and I use it due to the lack of an ipod. iPod's are easier for organising playlists etc though, and updating with new songs.

Is the AMI included with the sat nav too, or is it extra?!

When I spec'ed mine it was a separate option but Audi do combine options into packages to make better pricing and these change often.

Basically you have have cars with or without regardless of whether they have nav or not.

If I was buying I'd insist on AMI and Bluetooth as the more time goes on, the more they're expect.

AMI also lets you connect USB sticks or the analogue from any player.