1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0T Brake options

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sub39h, Feb 17, 2011.

1. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

hi guys,

i drive a 2006/55 A3 2.0T DSG with some minor modifications. no power upgrades yet, although i doubt i'll actually have the money to do any considering i broke i am :(

i've noticed that my standard brakes are a bit ****, particularly when i'm carrying a few of my mates. i was wondering if there was a moderately priced solution to the problem? something like aftermarket discs and pads which i can get done when my current set are due to be changed?

i've heard mixed opinions about EBC - a feature car in PVW said that EBC greenstuff were perfectly adequate, but they're mostly frowned upon on here. any other solutions? i know Ferodo DS2500 seem popular. what problems would i encounter with aftermarket pads? i'd imagine they don't have contacts for the brake wear sensors so i'll get a brake warning light?

i've seen a Brembo 4-pot front brake upgrade for my car that seems reasonably priced - HOWEVER i have NO knowledge of this subject and i dunno what reasonably priced would be. the brake diameter remains 312mm and i can't seem to find any reference to the kit on the Brembo website

any other ideas chaps (and chapettes)?

cheers,

S.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. jungleman

jungleman Well-Known Member

3. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

i've not logged onto vagoc in months lol. i'll have a look
  4. jungleman

cool, they are worth a look, by the time you have put uprated pads and new disks, there wont be that much a difference in price
  5. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

hmm see the Brembo 4-pots that i mentioned in my original post aren't much more money than that and they're brand new. granted they're smaller, but i'd imagine the 4-pot-ness will make more of a difference than the increased diameter
  6. jungleman

Are the brembos designed for the 2.0T with all the brackets etc?
  7. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

they're being sold as a Brembo upgrade for all PQ35 chassis cars (Mk5/6 Golf, A3, TT, Leon etc.) and you do get brackets with it, yes. but i don't know if you get "all the brackets" because i don't know what that means - i have no idea what you need for a brake upgrade, hence the thread lol
  8. jungleman

ah cool, all you will need is 2 calipers, 2 mounting brackets, 2 discs, 2 brake hoses and a set of pads and your good to go... then its just a case of hoping it all fits under your wheels, which it should do as you have 18's it just depends if you will need spacers or not
  9. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

ok this kit doesn't come with hoses, but i was thinking of upgrading to braided lines at the same time so it looks like the kit has everything i need!

many thanks for your help, i might give this kit a whirl. watch me regret it later and go for the S3 set :faint:
  10. warrenlord

warrenlord Member

i also have a set of s3 brakes for sale check my thread a3 thread out. wanting more though as i have the rear callipers too.
  11. jungleman

ah cool, make sure you talk to brembo about the hoses as not all companies use the same thread size (as i discovered) that way you can make sure you get the right parts
  12. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

i've already emailed my mechanic. they should know, they're pretty experienced with this sort of thing
  13. jungleman

ah cool, all good then! have to get some pictures up when they are on
    btw what size are the discs?
  14. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

312mm - same as OEM
  15. jungleman

ah cool, should all fit fine under your wheels then
    will be a nice set up!
  16. chrissy1502002

chrissy1502002 Member

Just thought i would put my 2p worth, ive got front and rear S3 brakes on my 2.0T Quattro. I do drive rather enthusiasticly and do the odd track day and tbh they have coped very well. They do fade slightly when im really pushing them but ohterwise i love them :)
  17. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

thanks for the input. S3 brakes aren't out of the question but whilst i'm scraping the funds together i'm gonna think about exactly what i wanna do. the idea of 4-pots is really appealing, but i've gotta consider price and the fact that i'm taking a bit of a risk. OEM S3s are obviously tried and tested so there's less risk involved.

we'll see what happens lol
  18. marson

marson New Member

jungleman/sub
    do you know if any modifications need to be carried out to get s3 brakes fitted to 2.0tdi?
    are they the same fitting?

cheers
  19. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

Whatever else you do,please do NOT waste your time and money on things like EBC Green or Red pads.

I was persuaded to try a set as a stop-gap between OEM and getting a proper brake setup....these things fade exactly the same as the OEM pads,and have no conceivable benefits from my point of view,and the money is best put towards a proper set of brakes.