1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0L Needs more power!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by AudiSport, Mar 12, 2007.

1. AudiSport

AudiSport Member

[Mar 12, 2007]
    Hi guys, I've always owned turbo cars such as TDi Golfs and my last one was a GTi Turbo. Now I've been running my 2001 A4 2.0L Sport for a few months and I'm just so board of the power delivery.. Or lack of it!

Is there anything I can do to spice my touque life up a little! If it was a turbo I guess I would be off down the re-map shop - but I'm not sure there is any point in doing this on my A4?

Please please Jim, fix it for me!

:drive:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. john2garden

john2garden Gonad

[Mar 12, 2007]
    There are not many quick fixes with n/a engines, there are normal things such as exhaust, Induction Kit, these only improve by small amounts and also improve engine sound. Cams and re-bores can make bigger differences but it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to tear your engine apart, and these cost.

A re - map would only improve throttle response and probably be a waste of £250 too.

You could always get a supercharger conversion, Docurley used to have a supercharger on his old A4 don't know the ins and outs but you could ask him!
  4. AudiSport

AudiSport Member

[Mar 12, 2007]
    Thanks for the info! Your right, I don't want to start ripping up a perfectly good engine in the search of a few extra horses!

I'm not sure what I was expecting, just thoughts maybe there would be some things to try! I guess the best bet is to wait till I've a few extra ££££ in the bank and get myself a t u r b o !
  5. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Mar 13, 2007]
    I had a 2.0 and had it chipped. There was no noticeable difference in power, though it removed a flat spot it had, and the throttle response was much improved.

As long as you are not expecting massive gains, it did make it a bit nicer to drive.
  6. pav-g

pav-g Member

[Mar 13, 2007]
    I would just contemplate changing exhaust and introducing a k&n panel filter, that way your not messing with the engine and the results should give you a few horses plus smoother throttle response.
  7. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Apr 3, 2007]
    This is interesting since my father has a 2L SE and since owning his company run Seat Toledo 130ps TDI, he found that the A4 lacks spice. The main problem for him is it is Y reg with 30,000 on the clock...it's hardly run in!. But since driving my 1.8T Sport, he is thinking about upgrading the management system.

I think the 2L is a great drive, especially when you push it through the gears up to 6000rpm. The instant acceleration in comparison to the turbo lag is what gets me every time; and I much prefer the smooth long acceleration of the petrol, rather than the short punchy acceleration of a TDI.

The other benefit is that the engine is 'so' quiet. I am driving it at the moment to 'put a few miles on it' and am forever looking at the dash to check everything is in order, because I keep on thinking the engine has stalled!!

But admittedly, it doesn't quite have the punch of a turbo. It sound as if a remap would be a good idea.
  8. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Apr 3, 2007]
    A remap for a 2.0 would not be worthwhile. Naturally aspirated engines do not respond that well to engine modificications. The 2.0 was meant to be a motorway cruiser which effortlessly eats up the miles. There's not much you can do which will increase the power to a noticeable level.

In my town, there is a guy who has an A4 2.0 litre with an OTT bodykit, RS4 badges and claims it is pushing out 230 bhp! He has not added a supercharger. The only engine mods he has are an intake and an exhaust. He also drives at night with only sidelights and fogs on, the twat.
  9. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Apr 3, 2007]

There is no doubt it is quiet - we still have the 2.0 and it is incredible how quiet it is with 138K miles on the clock, esp. compared to my TDi.
  10. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Apr 3, 2007]
    I will have to let him know before he decides to go ahead with it...since he is keen to get at least 160break out of it. I told him he was better off buying a 1.8T. Problem is he just doesn't do the mileage because of his company car. His last Audi was a 90, which he sold two years ago. F-reg and 70k on the clock!!

Believe me, the car is still in it's original condition apart from a minor dent in the rear bumper, courtesy of yours truly...uhum!:sorry: without any modifications, although he did go crazy and de-badge it...
    :gun2:

Cheers.
  11. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

[Apr 4, 2007]
    No way he will get 160bhp from a 2.0 by chipping. He will be wasting his money.
  12. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Apr 9, 2007]
    Thanks for letting me know
  13. Stevey.D

Stevey.D A4 3.0 cabriolet

[Apr 9, 2007]
    :sly: supercharge it!!!
  14. uksingh1111

uksingh1111 New Member

[Apr 9, 2007]
    LOOOOOLL!
  15. james0808

james0808 Active Member

[Apr 9, 2007]
    I would sell it and get either a TDI 130 or a 1.8t.