2.0FSI - 95/97/98/99RON.....?

mrmacmusic

Reaction score
Can someone please clarify the position regarding which unleaded to use in this engine? I've searched the forums and find differing answers....

I was told prior to purchase that my '03 Avant SE would run on normal unleaded, which it does. But they filled it up (yes, I got a full tank of fuel out of a dealer) with V-Power. I've found that performance and economy are better with this more expensive fuel, so OK, I'll live with that. The owners manual (yes, I did flick through it) states that you should use 98RON unleaded, but can use 95RON if necessary (i.e. when you can't get 98RON) - but is it OK to use Tesco's Super Unleaded - I noticed it's 99RON.....?

One more newbie question - is it worth 'chipping' this engine? I don't want to set the tarmac alight or anything, it would just be nice to have a little more throttle response between 1500-2500RPM. Having test driven both petrol and diesel variants, I opted for the 2.0FSI over the TDI for many reasons (including cost), but it would be nice to plant it in 4th when leaving a 30mph limit and feel like I'm getting something from the petrol engine - there are times that I get nothing!! Also, there are times when it feels like the car really takes off - sometimes almost 'out of control', like it's making it's own decisions about how much acceleration I want - then kind of dies when changing gear. Maybe somethings not right? I did have a 'nox' sensor replaced under warranty to remedy an idle problem...........

You might see a little difference with the higher octane fuel.
I wouldnt bother with a chip.
The only reason i would pick a 2.0 N/A engine over a TDI is cost,accelerating from 30 the TDI will hammer the 2.0,even the 1.8t boys will struggle.:nyah:

mrmacmusic said:
I was told prior to purchase that my '03 Avant SE would run on normal unleaded, which it does. But they filled it up (yes, I got a full tank of fuel out of a dealer) with V-Power. I've found that performance and economy are better with this more expensive fuel, so OK, I'll live with that. The owners manual (yes, I did flick through it) states that you should use 98RON unleaded, but can use 95RON if necessary (i.e. when you can't get 98RON) - but is it OK to use Tesco's Super Unleaded - I noticed it's 99RON.....?

99RON replaced 98RON, its super unleaded whatever way you look at it!

mrmacmusic said:
One more newbie question - is it worth 'chipping' this engine? I don't want to set the tarmac alight or anything, it would just be nice to have a little more throttle response between 1500-2500RPM. Having test driven both petrol and diesel variants, I opted for the 2.0FSI over the TDI for many reasons (including cost), but it would be nice to plant it in 4th when leaving a 30mph limit and feel like I'm getting something from the petrol engine - there are times that I get nothing!! Also, there are times when it feels like the car really takes off - sometimes almost 'out of control', like it's making it's own decisions about how much acceleration I want - then kind of dies when changing gear. Maybe somethings not right? I did have a 'nox' sensor replaced under warranty to remedy an idle problem...........

Chipping it will allow you to fiddle with the characteristics of the engine, you can get the installer to work on a program specifically to give you low down torque but you will suffer somewhere else in the rev range. Have a word with an installer and see what program options are available. At 1500 RPM even a TDI wouldnt be doing a lot, you'd be needing the 3.0 V6 or S4 for such low down gut wrenching torque!

Nickynibbles said:
you'd be needing the 3.0 V6 or S4 for such low down gut wrenching torque!

S4 yes,but gut wrenching torque from a 3.0 V6,maybe if its a 3.0 V6 tdi.

Thanks!

So I guess 99RON from Tesco's will be fine - a bit cheaper (and available locally) compared to the Shell V-Power stuff. At least it sound like it won't do any harm.

My concern about throttle response is that it varies so wildly. Some days it's rocket like (ok, so as 'rocket-like' as any 2.0 FSI might be), but other days it's down right lazy. On those days, it's really noticeable that there's almost no pick-up at all at low revs - anything I should worry about? Only had the car one month, and the dealer has already sorted out a few other minor niggles. One replaced component was dialogued as a 'nox' sensor (should be 'knock sensor', no?) What does this component do?

Thanks again - so if it adjusts the timing (presumably on a continuous basis) could this have an effect on performance if it's not doing it's job properly?