2.0 Tfsi servicing questions

Marklar

Reaction score
I did a full service on my 2008 (43,000 miles) A4 Cabriolet today and would appreciate some advice please.

1. The oil filter on my car is the replacement element type in a plastic canister fitted with a drain valve. I bought the special drain tube but couldn't turn it by hand sufficiently tightly to get more than a trickle of oil to drain out. It looks to me as though the thread in the canister is damaged as refitting the blanking cap was very difficult. Next time I'll just use lots of rags to catch the spillage.

Question: does anyone do an aftermarket metal replacement canister with a drain valve as this would make life much easier?

2. I replaced the original Bosch spark plugs with NGK laser platinums but was surprised to find that the upper part of the rearmost plug was quite rusty while the other three were all bright and shiny.

Question: I've no idea why or how water could have got into the plug housing. Has anyone else had this problem or can explain it?

3. I have bought a Mann fuel filter but haven't yet found where the one on the car is located.

Question: Can anyone point me in the right direction and is there anything I should know before attempting to fit a replacement?

I used Castrol Edge 5W/30 that I bought from ASDA for £29 for 4 litres. At £7.25 per litre this is the cheapest I've seen it so I bought enough to do next year's service as well. I got all the other service items (Mann OE oil, air, fuel and pollen filters and four NGK plugs from Euro Car Parts eBay shop for £73 delivered (ordered Monday afternoon and delivered by courier Tuesday afternoon.)

I have to say that the car is now running noticeably smoother than before and seems to be more flexible in town driving.

"1. The oil filter on my car is the replacement element type in a plastic canister fitted with a drain valve. I bought the special drain tube but couldn't turn it by hand sufficiently tightly to get more than a trickle of oil to drain out. It looks to me as though the thread in the canister is damaged as refitting the blanking cap was very difficult. Next time I'll just use lots of rags to catch the spillage."

I changed my oil/filter the other day - I did not have the drain tube, was a bit wary of oil spillage but actually if you are quick and have a tray ready is was not to bad tbh

don't think I will bother getting one actually - the extra hassle does not seem worth it imo

Reactions: Marklar
"1. The oil filter on my car is the replacement element type in a plastic canister fitted with a drain valve. I bought the special drain tube but couldn't turn it by hand sufficiently tightly to get more than a trickle of oil to drain out. It looks to me as though the thread in the canister is damaged as refitting the blanking cap was very difficult. Next time I'll just use lots of rags to catch the spillage."

I changed my oil/filter the other day - I did not have the drain tube, was a bit wary of oil spillage but actually if you are quick and have a tray ready is was not to bad tbh

don't think I will bother getting one actually - the extra hassle does not seem worth it imo
I think you are right. When I screwed the protective cap back into the canister it was so tight that I doubt it will ever come out again. In the end I cut flats on it so I can still use the socket to remove the can. A standard replacement metal oil filter would have made life much easier.

I found the fuel filter under a plastic cover in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Removing the single expanding plastic fixing clip was a real struggle but apart from that, getting the cover off was straightforward. On the cabrios there is also a bracing bar that needs to be removed to gain access to the filter and this is secured by special bolts that require a 10mm splined drive (not Torx) to remove. One of the bolts is retained by a nut that needs holding with a 16mm open-ended or ring spanner to prevent it spinning. Luckily the clips on the fuel lines came off and went back on without drama and apart from an armpitful of petrol, fuel loss was minimal.