2.0 TFSI or 1.8 TFSI

bobclark22

Reaction score
Looking to order an A3 3 door S-line in the next few days and I'm really stuck on which engine to get, 1.8 or 2.0 ? Is the 2.0 worth the extra money on cost, insurance, tax etc.

Also is BOSE worth the money?

Thank you.

I had the same decision to make last year and decided to go for the one which would not disappoint or cause me to regret/wonder whether I made the right decision and to ignore the minor savings in running costs.

Just think if you go for 1.8 you will always wonder what the 2.0TFSI would have been like.

2.0TFSI is a ground breaking engine. Think you'll been much better off with it but the 1.8TFSI is a very good engine too, don't let the 2.0TFSI over shadow it's abilities.

Give both of them a test drive, would definitely give you the best idea of which one to get.

The 2.0T is a great engine, but reviews in the mags and from users on here say that the 1.8T (and indeed the new 1.4T) are also very good too.

A lot depends on how important fuel and other costs are to you, and if you expect them to increase.

Personally, I'll be going for something more economical next time, as I expect fuel costs to continue to rise, and that VED bands will be increasing skewed in favour of smaller engines.

Thank you for your feedback.

I spend 90% of my time just driving normally, its just for that 10% of the time when I put my foot down which I need to think if it the extra is worth it.

My current car is a Leon Cupra (180 bhp) which is fast enough, the 1.8 didn't feel as fast but it was a lot lot smoother and really quiet.

I want to keep the payments reasonably so my decision is really a 2.0T with just folding mirrors, or 1.8T with folding mirrors, BOSE, heated seats and cruise.

Its a tough decision, what sort of MPG are people getting from the 2.0?

Decided which ever model to get, I will get it off the tinterweb, the dealer near me just keeps trying to rip me off.

bobclark22 said:
the dealer near me just keeps trying to rip me off.

You tried finding another dealer? Really is worth being patient and shopping around

I am in a similiar position albeit with a 140 (with stuff) v 170 debate that i need to resolve in a couple of months!

My need / desire for cruise + Xenons means the 140 is currently winning in my mind. To me - It depends on how important cruise and BOSE is; if they are half important then go for the 1.8.

PS - ask around on here for good dealers / people who others have used & will give you decent discounts (perhaps a new thread to grab their attention!) - surely an option rather than taking pot luck on the web

Thank you,

I think I'm being won over by the idea of more kit and saving some cash as oppose to more BHP, although I do get the point made earlier, will I regret it the first time I'm beaten off the lights.

bobclark22 said:
Thank you,
although I do get the point made earlier, will I regret it the first time I'm beaten off the lights.

Depends how loud you'll have your stereo on!!

You might find a great deal or say a 57 demonstrator which allows you the best of both worlds (ie toys and 2.0t).

BTW Cruise is less than £300 so you should be able to squeeze that onto your 2.0t spec; standard stereo is pretty good.

I have come to my decision and I expect this not to go down too well on this site, but on Saturday I test drove the new Leon Cupra.

Decided this way I can have the toys and the power for considerably less, which meant I could afford to pay for it with a loan and not a PCP deal.

bobclark22 said:
I have come to my decision and I expect this not to go down too well on this site, but on Saturday I test drove the new Leon Cupra.

Decided this way I can have the toys and the power for considerably less, which meant I could afford to pay for it with a loan and not a PCP deal.

Great choice imo mate....soooo much car for the money! I test drove one a few months back and really liked the whole drive, only thing that stopped me having one was the long wait for a white one and a pretty poor PX figure on the A3...and if i'm honest the centre console area is pretty dire and would deffo need satnav to lift it up a bit, other than that they are a great car! :icon_thumright:

Bear in mind that any Cupra's ordered now will NOT have xenons as standard even though they have increased the OTR price.. :no:

I think you'll find that the Audi will hold its value better than the Seat when you come to sell up. But still a nice car and if your happy with it then thats all that matters :icon_thumright:

bobclark22 said:

We still have the Mk1 Leon cupra - was my last car and I liked it so much we bought it at the end of the company car lease. 85k miles and hardly any problems.

Mk2, well Beddie is spot on (both with the many positives and the not so many negatives - jeez the glove box and centre console is dreadful).

A healthy discount can be had on the Cupra's also. I think I've seen you on cupra.net asking Irfan so you should be able to get a great deal.

I'd avoid the K1 version as well - poor bodykit.

PS: As you did mention earlier on in the thread that 180bhp is fast enough, and you mentioned you are on a budget then have you considered the FR (petrol) Leon?

A couple of grand cheaper & 0% APR with 40% deposit up front available until end of March 2008.

been offered a cracking discount on it as well, which is great considering I came within a whisker of paying list price on Sunday.

hopefully taking delivery in June, very excited.

its a good point about the interior, I'm not a big fan of the dash, looks a bit cheap, but the seats and steering wheel are ace, but i can put up with the cheapness for the thousands i'm saving.

i didn't think i needed more power in my life until i test drove it, the engine is phenomenal, any gear any speed and it goes.