2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Mike I have exactly same make/model/engine/colour.age as you (but its a quattro)and it was first registered in June 2011. Ive only had it for three weeks and had a long life service done for me immediately prior to purchase. After doing around 1k miles I see the oil level has dropped from full to three quarters and as such I have sent a mail to the Service Manager and his assistant at my local dealer asking for their input into my specific problem. Should I be calling Audi UK in the morning before calling my local dealership for an update?

Btw I love the car and previously had an 04 plate 2.5tdi quattro sport and never added a drop of oil to it between services. Does this level of oil consumption sound excessive or is it just the norm for petrol engines? Ive had diesels for years and cannot remember if my previous petrol cars used a lot of oil,,cheers

As SB said mate all you can do is monitor it and see how it goes. Pointless doing anything yet as on those figures it will easily pass an oil consumption test. Things can start going downhill quickly tho..
Strange how one month can differ between cars..
There was no choice in mine getting fixed as there was a recurrent misfire on cylinder 2 related to the oil problem. That spark plug in particular was soaked in oil.
Since the rebuild there has been no oil usage since the beginning of Feb..

Any other news today Ryan? It's annoying trying to get things sorted with Audi but you will be ok soon.
I'm still calling Audi nearly 4 months since the start of the problems trying to sort a service out...

As SB said mate all you can do is monitor it and see how it goes. Pointless doing anything yet as on those figures it will easily pass an oil consumption test. Things can start going downhill quickly tho..
Strange how one month can differ between cars..
There was no choice in mine getting fixed as there was a recurrent misfire on cylinder 2 related to the oil problem. That spark plug in particular was soaked in oil.
Since the rebuild there has been no oil usage since the beginning of Feb..

Any other news today Ryan? It's annoying trying to get things sorted with Audi but you will be ok soon.
I'm still calling Audi nearly 4 months since the start of the problems trying to sort a service out...

Just got back from Audi,

They were unable to perform a consumption test due to a slight leak in the cam control valve. £160 to repair.

They said it was only minor so now I have to wait until that's fixed to do the consumption test.

As for service history he said as long as the Indy garage had done stuff right used correct parts/ oil ect there wouldn't be a problem with free rebuild.

I've phoned MB motor group and told them and they have told me to ring back this afternoon.

Mb are taking the car back to replace the cam control valve.

Call from Audi today saying that my oil usage is not excessive however to put my mind at ease they will do a free test. I've decided not to take that option just now and will monitor it as advised, couldn't have been any nicer I must say...

For those who have asked for updates on my car, it has gone in for the second part of the oil consumption test today.

It managed 280 miles before the light came on. The lady at Victoria Audi is very nice and is very helpful. I have confidence that she will try her best to put a case to Audi that the car should be fixed for free.

I will call Charles today and keep him updated and give you an update on the decision....

Fingers crossed (still...)

I'm surprised your car wasn't misfiring mate doing only 280 miles per litre!! Was that mainly motorway miles or town?

Update - I have already received the 'fix' for free, re-imbursements of the oil consumption tests but now I have a letter from Audi UK confirming my next service will be free!

I have booked the car in for the service and I was told it can be used against the next major & minor service package they are offering to cars 3-5 yrs old. That's 2 services for free then. Not a bad result..

I also enquired about the cam chain tensioners and I can confirm they were both changed with the most recent and modified parts. I will be given the information including pics and part numbers when I see the advisor during the cars service. Will post the info soon...

Reactions: Pdunne75
I'm surprised your car wasn't misfiring mate doing only 280 miles per litre!! Was that mainly motorway miles or town?

Update - I have already received the 'fix' for free, re-imbursements of the oil consumption tests but now I have a letter from Audi UK confirming my next service will be free!

I have booked the car in for the service and I was told it can be used against the next major & minor service package they are offering to cars 3-5 yrs old. That's 2 services for free then. Not a bad result..

I also enquired about the cam chain tensioners and I can confirm they were both changed with the most recent and modified parts. I will be given the information including pics and part numbers when I see the advisor during the cars service. Will post the info soon...

That's at least 2 of us who have had the cam chain tensioners changed during the rebuild. That is the type of service I expected when buying an Audi.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
2000 miles completed and oil level is only halfway down the gauge, dont think I'll need to be visiting Audi anytime soon (fingers crossed)

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Charles from Audi UK phoned at lunchtime today to see if I was satisfied with everything. The outcome is I'm finally happy with how things have turned out and my case is now closed.

I think I will treat the front wheels to some new Hankook tread...

Done some research into the two cam chain tensioners on the TFSI engine. Looks like another thread maybe looming if correct..
This was a quick search on the subject but still nevertheless worrying:

http://shopdap.com/2-0t-fsi-timing-chain-chain-adjuster-and-chain-tensioner-problems/

The failures are put down to vehicle maintenance however the oil problem exacerbates this. Let's hope the current fixes are all incorporating the tensioner changes just as jwash42 and I have double checked was completed otherwise Audi UK will get much more unwanted calls and publicity...

Just got back from Audi,

They were unable to perform a consumption test due to a slight leak in the cam control valve. £160 to repair.

They said it was only minor so now I have to wait until that's fixed to do the consumption test.

As for service history he said as long as the Indy garage had done stuff right used correct parts/ oil ect there wouldn't be a problem with free rebuild.

I've phoned MB motor group and told them and they have told me to ring back this afternoon.

Mb are taking the car back to replace the cam control valve.

Read the above Ryan. Cam control valve leaking and not being able to conduct an oil test? Think some Audi centres either haven't got a clue or are trying to drag out the issue through their own management guidelines not Audi UK!

Done some research into the two cam chain tensioners on the TFSI engine. Looks like another thread maybe looming if correct..
This was a quick search on the subject but still nevertheless worrying:

http://shopdap.com/2-0t-fsi-timing-chain-chain-adjuster-and-chain-tensioner-problems/

The failures are put down to vehicle maintenance however the oil problem exacerbates this. Let's hope the current fixes are all incorporating the tensioner changes just as jwash42 and I have double checked was completed otherwise Audi UK will get much more unwanted calls and publicity...
Massive thread on briskoda about timing chain failures. Interesting read

Cam control valve leaking and not being able to conduct an oil test?

I wouldn't say that's too unreasonable. If the car's losing oil through a leak then the oil consumption test won't really tell you the condition of rings and bores. (Also, I don't think cam control valve failure is catastrophic like tensioner failure)

Massive thread on briskoda about timing chain failures. Interesting read

Will take a look mate..
I haven't got any concerns with my car at the moment! but know plenty of readers joining ot haven't had the fix will will have read the above and are about to go through the 'experience'!
As previous members on here have already stated - The oil consumption does affect other mechanical components in the engine train if left long enough....
My cars going into Audi Bridgend soon.. Can see a review there looming...
Will be having a good chat with the service advisor and manager about things all related etc... ;)

Last edited:
SB, I'm not so sure mate.. First I have heard of cam control valve tho... Not normally a failure unlike everything else...
Still unsure of the 1.8 TFSI stance with Audi UK?
The 2.0 have been 'accepted' ish as having the problem!
Edit - just read ur thread on the new S4. Getting jealous. Tempted myself but my car is looking and feeling brand new at the mo... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: silentbrown
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435440883733444

My neighbour had a 59 plate RSV. Skoda wanted to charge him £9000 for a new engine, so he just handed them the keys and took whatever cash they were willing to give him.

A mate of mine was looking at a 2012 VRS 2.0 TFSI and I gave some friendly advice on what to look out for.
Needless to say after a bit of research it looks like his minds changed already...

Just been skimming through this thread, and its scared the crap out of me. I've just bought a 2011 Dynamik with 64k on the clock, the car had a full service just before I picked it up so oil was new and topped up. I've done about 320 miles since and I think it has used about a 1/4 of the oil, however its hard to tell as I can't even find a dipstick so just going of what the MMI tells me.

So should I be worried or is it best to see how I get on, and then maybe call Audi customer services? Another thing would they listen to me even if I haven't bought the car new? It does have a full Audi service history, which I've read it a must if Audi were to pick up the bill for the engine rebuild???

Thanks

Just been skimming through this thread, and its scared the **** out of me. I've just bought a 2011 Dynamik with 64k on the clock, the car had a full service just before I picked it up so oil was new and topped up. I've done about 320 miles since and I think it has used about a 1/4 of the oil, however its hard to tell as I can't even find a dipstick so just going of what the MMI tells me.

So should I be worried or is it best to see how I get on, and then maybe call Audi customer services? Another thing would they listen to me even if I haven't bought the car new? It does have a full Audi service history, which I've read it a must if Audi were to pick up the bill for the engine rebuild???

Thanks
You should be fine, mine had full audi service history, I purchased from a non audi dealer with 90k on the clock, had a stage 1 revo remap. Had all the issues in this and other threads. Engine rebuild at 98k and audi picked up the tab over 5k, so happy!

Welcome to the forum pal. What so in an unfortunate way!

What month build is the car?

Sounds like it's starting to exhibit the oil consumption problem...

What are the exhaust pipes like?

Main thing is that on your current usage Audi will not agree to fix as it will pass the consumption test..
Painful thing is no car should use a litre of oil for around your figures of 1280 miles a litre. All I can say is monitor it but let Audi know that your concerned that the piston rings are passing!

Ensure you read the mmi correctly too. Mine still fluctuates now but after a decent drive upto temp the mmi will read accurate a few mins after the engine is turned off with ignition on (on flat ground).

When it does eventually fail the test which almost certainly it will, then with full Audi service history you should be fine for the rebuild. The fix does seem to work! It's also reassuring as the cam chain tensioners are replaced which are now also starting to fail on unfixed cars..

Thanks guys, just looked at the VIN plate and I can see a date of the 11/2010 so guessing that's my build date.

The pipes don't have any chrome/SS covers so its just the standard mid steel I'm guessing which on most cars I've own are pretty dirty so don't seem any different.

I've only had it two days, but had to drive it 200+ miles home and the wife has put another 120 on it today. Its early days with the car so will see how much its used in a week and will call Audi if the gauge keeps dropping at the rate it has been..

Is it a 60 plate then? Also is it a 2.0 TFSI 211? If so it will definitely have the incorrect piston rings fitted and need fixing at some point..
Be reassured though that Audi are helping owners properly now.

Reactions: keaney
No its a 11 plate, they only released the Dynamik on that year apparently (and I believe its the 2.0 TFSI 211 version).

Thanks for the reassurance Mike, I've read most of the thread now and seen what you had to go through (and others).

One thing I haven't actually spotted yet, if I do need to top up the oil what's the best one to use, I can see Castrol on the oil cap, but what grade?

I own a 2011 a3 sb 1.8tfsi 160bhp and noticed a lot of oil loss round nov time got it booked in dec 4weeks wait and Audi found that the head gasket had a external leak after a long battle on if the warranty would fix this only owning the car for 4months (brought from Audi in July with full Audi service history ) that was fixed finally got the car back mid Jan,
drove the car no more than 300miles and oil light comes on again so I gave my mate a call who's a vw master tech and a quick mooching under the car revelled a massive leak to the rear of the engine block (as first thought) excessive oil in my intake system and boost system and slight oil practicals coming out the exhaust and my tips were always black even when I first got it but didn't know about this problem with tfsi engines.

Any way took back to Audi showed them the evidence and they swiftly took the car away got a call to say that the tech who worked on the car didn't clean up after the work was done and also didn't top up the oil? Which I don't believe as the oil had to be drained to carry out the head gasket repair anyway they topped the oil off steam cleaned the engine and cleaned out the intake system then said they would carry out an oil consumption test they did a total of 438 miles and claimed no oil had been used.
I've now driven a total of 2,111miles and just had to top up 500ml as the level was just touching the bottom of the dipstick am I being paranoid that my cars now using oil and becoming a oil thirsty engine?

Last edited:
I had my engine replaced 2 years ago for this problem. Audi at the time paid a contribution. I wonder if I claim back for my money and for the consumption test?

I had my engine replaced 2 years ago for this problem. Audi at the time paid a contribution. I wonder if I claim back for my money and for the consumption test?
You should get t it back pal....I rang Audi UK, spoke to Charles, got my all my money back including initial test and the first fix

Reactions: ScottishA4B9