2.0 TFSI HPFP Cam Lobe and Cam Follower

KRL

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to know if anybody here has suffered Cam Follower failure/wear and subsequent Cam Lobe failure/wear. On the VWvortex forums this topic has been discussed in a lot of detail:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3750088&page=1

I am a little concerned about the potential affects of this problem seeing as it has been seen on stock cars as well as modified and my car is about to go out of warranty.

Do you 2.0 TFSI owners check your Cam Follower and Cam Lobe regularly for this? Also does anybody know if this is checked by Audi UK as part of regualr servicing?

There was a TSB released by Audi US for this problem:
http://livall.kicks-***.net/20t_cam_wear/20t_cam_wear.pdf

So my questions are:
1. Does this affect UK model 2.0 TFSIs and is the above TSB relevant for the UK?
2. Do Audi UK check for this?
3. Has anybody with aftermarket HPFPs suffered problems?
4. Has anybody on stock HPFP suffered problems?

This was addressed, as you pointed out, by Audi. l havent heard of any recent problems. l will be speaking to my garage about checking as part of a service

This was addressed, as you pointed out, by Audi. l havent heard of any recent problems. l will be speaking to my garage about checking as part of a service

How was it addressed and was it addressed in the UK?

The material that the cam was made from was softer than the material on the pump, hence wear. The OEM pump would have worn the cam as well.

I ran a replacement pump without issues. I did do regular checks at 7k ish intervals and also replaced the cam follower (£20) each time. No problems for me.

The material that the cam was made from was softer than the material on the pump, hence wear. The OEM pump would have worn the cam as well.

Yes but there was no recall for this problem as far as I am aware it was only a TSB. Therefore if you have an earlier 2.0 TFSI (mine was manufactured on 23.07.06) I am concerned this problem could still effect me and others. My car has 56k miles on it at the moment so will soon be over the 60k warranty mileage and a replacement cam would be quite a financial hit.

I ran a replacement pump without issues. I did do regular checks at 7k ish intervals and also replaced the cam follower (£20) each time. No problems for me.

Thanks. Was the cam follower worn each time or did you replace more out of preventative maintenance?

There are some well documented Cam wear problems with other VAG engines.

1.9 150hp TDI PD
S4 and RS4 V6

First two that spring to mind

Seems to be quite a wide spread VAG issue then.

Here is a summary of how I understand the problem on 2.0 TFSIs:

Your Cam Follower will wear in time as it is made of a softer material than the Cam. Therefore you need to periodically check the condition of your Cam Follower (I intend to check mine asap).

If your Cam Follower fails it is likely that the HPFP will do some damage to the Cam as it will be coming into direct contact with the Cam surface.

There are 2 variations of the 200 ps 2.0 TFSI Cams - A variant and B variant which both have 3 lobes. It seems to be a bit of a lottery which Cam people will have (it does not seem to be tied down age). The A variant Cams are one piece while the B variant Cams are two piece. Cam failure seems to be more likely on the A variant Cam.

The S3 2.0 TFSI has a 4 lobe Cam and I am not sure if this problem effects the S3?

is this confined to the TFSi engine or is there a chance on my 2003 N/A FSi engine? It's only done 22k so far but is it something i can prevent or delay the onset?

First i had a KMD Pump which failed after 2.000 miles (found some petrol in the engine oil, not very good :) Now i'm running with an APR pump which works great so far.

I've changed the cam follower at 30.000 km and it looked like new. The same applies for the cam lobe. I think the Motul 300v oil that i use is responsible for this :)

is this confined to the TFSi engine or is there a chance on my 2003 N/A FSi engine? It's only done 22k so far but is it something i can prevent or delay the onset?

Sorry I'm not sure about the 2.0 FSI engine. Does it have a HPFP?

First i had a KMD Pump which failed after 2.000 miles (found some petrol in the engine oil, not very good :) Now i'm running with an APR pump which works great so far.

I've changed the cam follower at 30.000 km and it looked like new. The same applies for the cam lobe. I think the Motul 300v oil that i use is responsible for this :)

Interesting! How often do you change your oil?