2.0 TFSI coolant leak?? - creamy film

Kermit

Reaction score
Just been to top up the oil (again!) on my beloved to find a slight creaming (not major) around the inside of the oil filler cap. Should I be worried/hurriedly getting it into the garage -it's warranty is up in just over a month? :crying:

First thought was head gasket, but reading around it appears that there isn't a gasket on these engines, it's sealant, and they're not prone to going, especially after less than 3 years and 34k miles. What else could it be?

Could it be mixing different oils (i've been topping up using synthetic Synta Oil that my old Cupra used to use; nearly two years old now) and that water has permiated into the old oil before topping up?

Is there a link between it's thirst for oil (maybe a 1/3 litre every 3-4 months) and a leak somewhere allowing water to get into the system? Never any sign of any oil on the driveway or at work though.

Thanks everyone.

Don't worry too much Kermit, it's just condensation from the engine causing the moisture to mix with the oil near the filler cap (and the top of the dipstick, as i seen on mine!) and causing the mayo.

You normally get it if you only do short journeys and the engine oil hasn't warmed up enough to get rid of the moisture. Just wipe it out and go for a longer drive/blast. That should sort it out!

I did the panic thing too when I saw it in mine! Then seached on here and found it to be very common/normal behaviour for the TFSI engine!

Do a search and you will see loads of threads on this subject.

HTH

Rog:icon_thumright: