2.0 TFSI Coil Packs on a 1.8T

Thought that was what they meant..

How do yuo open the gap? and how do you measure the gap once opened? its not a fiddly bending trial and error job isit?

They are talking about the gap of the spark plug. The plugs we run have a gap of 0.8mm where the TFSIs have a 1mm gap. The larger the gap the bigger the spark.

The TFSI coils are made stronger then the 1.8T coils to run with 1mm gapped plugs. The general idea is that the larger the gap, the larger the spark, the better the combustion, giving more power.

Tests are inconclusive with regards power gains... don't do the TFSI swap if you expect more power... its like a lot of mods for forced induction engines... these are mods that make the best of what you have... like FMIC's and the like...

You could argue that this allows you to run more boost reliably (without misfires) and thus you can attain more power but you won't get more power by just fitting them..

I would advise sticking to 0.9mm plug gap tbh... 1mm seems big and not really needed considering these engines do ok most of the time on a 0.7mm gap and 20v fail packs...

No point in making the car more unreliable that it needs to be...

<tuffty/>

He has got a big turbo on his and a print out of 345bhp (dyno lottery i know) but from experiance that kit runs very hot so i reckon 7's will do the job as they reconmend possibly 7's on remapped ;)

He has got a big turbo on his and a print out of 345bhp (dyno lottery i know) but from experiance that kit runs very hot so i reckon 7's will do the job as they reconmend possibly 7's on remapped ;)

Ah... ok... yeah... 7's then :)

<tuffty/>

By cooler ones you mean the 6's or 8's? I use 8's as I have a big turbo conversion and best part of 400hp... you only need 6's (which are hotter in the plug heat scale)

Gap wise there is discussion of opening the gaps to 1mm using the TFSI packs but tbh the std gap is 0.85mm so I have them set to 0.9mm which I personally think is a happy medium... running larger gaps on 20v coil packs reduced their life expectancy as they have to work harder to make the gap... 0.9mm works on mine and I have had no misfires even when running over 2bar of boost where the normal 20v's (the 3yr old ones I had) would have a hissy..

<tuffty/>

ryans is uber hot k26 mtm tubby tho tuffty
egts will be high i think if anything like staceys

colder.... 7's..

ryans is uber hot k26 mtm tubby tho tuffty
egts will be high i think if anything like staceys

colder.... 7's..

Yeah... seen that now lol :)

Should have remembered from his user name LOL... DOH!!!

<tuffty/>

Thanks Guys, Think ill be getting Spark Plugs and coils mid next week and fitting, and space the Spark plug 0.9mm-0.95mm accordingly..

Do I buy a cheaper spark plug gap tool or does anyone have an alternative method? or one i can use?

Thanks

is there still intrest in fitting these coils to the 1.8t, as tests show that there isnt anymore power to be had, but surely its worth it if they are smoother, more reliable and help your engine produce a better MPG?

Iv order some of the red TFSI coils which cost 24.50 + vat each from GSF and getting some of the adapters made up by a mate using cnc water jet equipment and hopefully getting them finished in polished alloy or powder coated. Would anybody else be potentially intrested in a set as im getting a few made for friends and could get a few more done, this isnt a group buy btw, just gauging intrest.

Sportstractor are you joking on how much you paid? Awesome are doing a full set of red at the minute for £75ish delivered!

They won't give more power only the potential to run more boost really... and that is dependant on the turbo you use etc too... personally I think they are a better coil pack than the 20v one and therefore you are no worse off using them... if you are in the market for coil packs then there is no real reason not to consider them...

Personally I think there is better part throttle response and idle using TFSI coils over 20v coils... mpg wise its difficult to say tbh as the car doesn't get out much and its current configuration means that when it does it kinda gets abused lol...

<tuffty/>

Sportstractor are you joking on how much you paid? Awesome are doing a full set of red at the minute for £75ish delivered!

YOU LEGEND, you just saved me £40 or so, i thought that was pretty reasonable considering what i had to pay for my 1.8t coils :faint:

with the money iv saved iv also gone for a new coil pack loom :)

They won't give more power only the potential to run more boost really... and that is dependant on the turbo you use etc too... personally I think they are a better coil pack than the 20v one and therefore you are no worse off using them... if you are in the market for coil packs then there is no real reason not to consider them...

Personally I think there is better part throttle response and idle using TFSI coils over 20v coils... mpg wise its difficult to say tbh as the car doesn't get out much and its current configuration means that when it does it kinda gets abused lol...

<tuffty/>

Not really needing them, but when i read that they were smoother and more reliable i thought i had to have, and hopefully il get some money back from selling my 6 month old 1.8t coils.

If it gives me smoother idle and part throttle, il be happy. As the 1.8t and a bit rough compared to other engines iv driven.

When they turn up il get some adapters made :) not paying £70 for a set from INA

Happy to save anyone some dollar :).

I need to order some tonight.

Aragon why you after bolt downs? My will be for sale when my tfsi ones come from awesome.

Looks like I'll be doing this mod in the near future as my coil pack is on it's way out anything above 3k at full boost I get the occasional miss sometimes :( pretty annoying,

I need bolt downs too unsure where to source them from though as well as spark plugs.

I've still got 3 bolt downs and 1 push down. Might order the reds tonight but I need a push down rocker cover!!!

Just a heads up as well guys, ive just been on the phone to awesome and the tfsi coils arnt in stock yet, they said itll be sometime this month, but when they dont know.

Ha I just got off the phone to them aswell, apparently there on a shipment waiting to be cleared by customs... Ghey. Anybody reckon it's worth having them when I go in for mapping on Friday, or wouldn't it make any difference fitting afterward?

Ha I just got off the phone to them aswell, apparently there on a shipment waiting to be cleared by customs... Ghey. Anybody reckon it's worth having them when I go in for mapping on Friday, or wouldn't it make any difference fitting afterward?

Won't make any diff to the mapping tbh...

<tuffty/>

I'm tempted to do this too. I'll wait till they're in stock before ordering, any way I could probably do with upgrading my wiring loom before putting fancy new coilpacks on ...

I noticed they do a replacement coil pack loom. Neither (according to their blurb) seem to be applicable to my S3 (AMK) unless A3-8L implies S3-8L too????

Awesome - Coilpack Wiring Loom Replacement for oil level sensor cars

Awesome - Coilpack Wiring Loom Replacement

Will I have to cut the existing loom off and crimp a connector block in for the new loom?

Liam

Hmm, I hope that's not the case cause iv ordered the one with the level sensor, I'm sure it'l work, just needs some wiring which I'm not afraid of, maybe tuffty can confirm

Hmm, I hope that's not the case cause iv ordered the one with the level sensor, I'm sure it'l work, just needs some wiring which I'm not afraid of, maybe tuffty can confirm

I hope so too. TPS have 1J0 971 658 M as a live part number on their system so I've ordered one. But they said it's not listed for any particular vehicle. £25 + VAT.

Liam

The replacement coil pack wiring loom is a generic VAG loom... the coil pack loom can be used by splicing it in... I was planning on getting the cheaper one (without the sensor wiring) and just splicing in the coil pack wiring rather than run it all the way back to the ECU... you don't need all the other stuff really as its only really the coil pack stuff thats ********...

<tuffty/>

The loom i got from Awesome was one from there website with the oil level sensor

VAG part number 1J0 971 658 M

I just cut into the old and new loom and made it fit

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm reading on my mobile and keep going backwards and forwards through the post.
If fitting the tfsi coil packs to an amk do I need to replace the loom if mine is in good order.
Thanks.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm reading on my mobile and keep going backwards and forwards through the post.
If fitting the tfsi coil packs to an amk do I need to replace the loom if mine is in good order.
Thanks.

No you don't.

I have an AMK - but my wiring it pretty knackered from the heat/age. I don't particularly have any noticeable problems but when I saw the condition of my wiring I was surprised that I don't have more problems.

I'm going to spend my money on making sure my wiring is tip top before I throw money at the new coil packs.

That's just my two pence.

Liam

is there still intrest in fitting these coils to the 1.8t, as tests show that there isnt anymore power to be had, but surely its worth it if they are smoother, more reliable and help your engine produce a better MPG?

Iv order some of the red TFSI coils which cost 24.50 + vat each from GSF and getting some of the adapters made up by a mate using cnc water jet equipment and hopefully getting them finished in polished alloy or powder coated. Would anybody else be potentially intrested in a set as im getting a few made for friends and could get a few more done, this isnt a group buy btw, just gauging intrest.

I'd be up for a set. I'm back in the UK in a week or so for two weeks. You planning on making them soon?

Hopefully will be done in a couple weeks, going to get some spares done as its a lot cheaper to make more while the tooling is setup. Just waiting for coils to turn up for dimensions